XXXIV. The Sewers

Katniss springs into action after the broadcast, pulling out the Holo and opening up the map of the Capitol. 

"Snow is in his mansion. Where is that?" She asks no one in particular.

Everyone circles around the table holding the blue-tinted 3D map. Cressida points out our location and the location of Snow's mansion. 

"It's at least 70-75 blocks north," Cressida says. 

"Seventy-five blocks north?" Finnick questions, dumbstruck at the distance left to go. 

"Nobody knows we're alive. This is our chance." Katniss encourages. "These buildings. Do these look over Snow's gardens?" 

Castor confirms that they do.

"If he goes outside at all, I could get a clear shot." Katniss comments.

"We're getting ahead of ourselves here," Jackson says. "Whether they're looking for us or not, we are pinned down. Hit that button, scan for pods."

Katniss pushes on a small button on the Holo and hundreds of red dots fill up the map. 

"Just about every ten steps." Homes says.

"Those are just pods above ground, correct?" I ask.

Jackson gives me a confused nod. 

"Well, is there any way we can travel underground?" I inquire.

Pollux taps me on the shoulder and nods his head. He signs at Castor. 

"The tunnels." Castor translates.

We left the Leegs with some medical supplies for Laura's foot and told them we'd send someone to them once we completed the mission

Climbing down the ladder into the tunnels, Finnick keeps his arms a few inches away, prepared to help me if I fall. 

I jump off and pat him on the chest, "Thanks, bud." 

He looks taken aback at the nickname but before he can comment he's interrupted. 

"My brother knows these tunnels really well," Castor says. "He worked sanitation down here. Right after they made him an Avox."

We follow Pollux as he pauses, taking in a shaky breath. Castor moves to comfort him, promising him they were going to make it through this. I feel bad for mentioning an underground route, I wouldn't have said anything if I knew how much the tunnels affected Pollux. 

"Took us five years to buy his way outta here." Castor informs Katniss. "He didn't see the sun once."

I look over at Pollux who was still trying to steady his breathing. I walk over to him and place a hand on his shoulder. 

"I'm sorry for making you go through this again," I whisper. 

He shakes his head at me as if to say I don't need to apologize. I give a small smile and pull him into a hug. Something about Pollux's usually happy eyes being filled with fear formed a knot in my throat. 

We started our way through the tunnels with Katniss leading with the Holo. Pollux stood beside her. The rumble of a train was felt under my feet as we ran to take cover behind a thick pillar.

Why do they still have trains running? Didn't the Capitol citizens all evacuate?

After the train passed, Katniss commented that we were too exposed and Pollux led us a different way; through the sewers. 

We all walked in silence. I don't know if it was fear or anxiety or we just couldn't think of anything but nobody spoke. 

A little while later we were walking chest-deep in water with our only source of light being the small flashlights we were given

A little while later we were walking chest-deep in water with our only source of light being the small flashlights we were given. The tunnels smelled like mildew and sewage. As we walked, the water gradually became lower and lower, and by the time we were walking in ankle-deep water, Jackson called for a break. 

We crawled into a dry and dimly lit alcove, more than ready to have a rest. Jackson shouts that she is going to take the first watch as everyone finds their spot on the ground. 

"Hey, Peeta. Just tuck in there." Finnick called and pointed to a spot in the corner. 

Finnick sat beside Peeta and patted the spot beside him, calling for me to sit with him. I just ignore him and take the seat between Katniss and Homes, across from Finnick. He gives me a weird look.

"I'm not sleeping on the very end closest to the entrance." I shrug. 

"Fine," He says as he stands. "Mind switching seats?" He asks Homes. 

Homes just wordlessly moves and Finnick plops down beside me. Jackson comes and takes her spot beside Finnick so she can watch for anything at the entrance. 

I roll my eyes, "Better?"

"Much." He smiles and lies his head on my lap. My heart races at the intimacy of the act but I'm too tired to fight him on it. I brush my fingers through his golden curls and slowly close my eyes. 

I woke up to a faint hissing sound and noticed Katniss was no longer sitting beside me. I figured it was her watch but she wasn't on the other side of Finnick either. 

"Katniss?" Peeta asked a little above a whisper. The coppery and floral scent of white roses mixed with blood filled the air. 

"What is that?" Jackson asked. Everyone was awake at this point like we could all sense the danger. Finnick sits up, wiping the sleep out of his eyes. 

"What's what?" He asks. 

"We gotta go. We gotta get outta here now-" Peeta shouts. 

"Keep your voice down." Gale tries to tell him but Peeta speaks over him clearly terrified of something.

"Mutts! They released mutts!" Peeta says and we all jump up and collect our weapons. 

"Pollux, what's the fastest way out?" Katniss asks in a relatively calm voice compared to Peeta.

Pollux climbs out of the entrance to where Katniss stood and points to the right. We all jump down back into the tunnels and Gale leads. He shoots a flaming arrow down the hall, giving us a point of light to follow. 

The hissing continues behind us. Jackson stays at the back of the group watching our six as we walk slowly through the water. 

We approach an opening to the left of us and Gale shoots another flaming arrow. 

Nothing. 

We continue on our way. Finnick walks beside me, trident out and ready. I walk with my flashlight and a knife in hand, hyperaware of any movement.