Secrets by Vorabiza

Chapter Eight

“Harry, why are you acting so different?” Ron burst out suddenly.

Harry startled at the question. Of all the questions he’d expected to be asked, that wasn’t one of them. “What do you mean?” he asked warily. “I’m not different.”

“Yes, you are!” Ron exclaimed.

“You’re just imagining things, Ron,” Harry said dismissively.

Ron turned pleadingly to Hermione for help, and she took up the challenge. “Harry,” she said slowly. “You just called an Order meeting, ran said meeting, laid out the basics for the counter-attack tonight, and you stood your ground with both Lupin and Mrs. Weasley. This is not to mention you standing up to Professor McGonagall, not just once, but probably twice,” she said knowingly.

Harry briefly considered the short, private chat he’d had with McGonagall before the Order meeting, and realized Hermione had known about it, if not what was actually said. She’d seen McGonagall come away from that talk and hand over control of the Order meeting to Harry.

Before Harry could figure out how to respond, Ron was speaking again. “And you volunteered to make potions!” he shouted, making it sound as if it was the most horrific thing Harry had ever done in his life.

Harry snorted in wry amusement. “Madam Pomfrey said she would need the potions, and like I said, I have a way to help. As for the meeting, it may have looked like I was taking charge, but it was only with McGonagall’s permission. The only reason anybody listened was because Fawkes made his sudden appearance, and then I was lucky enough to have Hermione’s help to deflect attention.”

He gave her a huge grin. “By the way, that was bloody brilliant!”

Hermione was unable to resist grinning in return. “I thought it was quite good myself,” she said primly.

Ron and Ginny laughed, and they all relaxed a little. If Harry had hoped it would help deflect attention, though, he was wrong.

“I think what my idiot brother was trying to say,” Ginny said with a pointed glance at Ron, “is that we didn’t quite expect to see you so take charge and in control. Help or not, you came here today with a plan and nothing was going to stop you. Even the adults . . . even Mum . . . seemed to respect that,” she said in awe.

“We’re used to you in a crisis, but this was all a bit more . . . involved,” Hermione said, floundering a little for an appropriate word. “When we last saw you, you were extremely angry and grieving. We didn’t expect to see you so . . . calm, especially considering the circumstances.”

Harry shrugged carelessly, gazing at his friends. Hermione looked like she thought Harry was going to explode just from what she’d said. He supposed that he might have in the past.

“There are things that needed to be done. We don’t have time to sit around grieving. It’s not to say I’m not angry. I’m furious that we have to deal with any of this, but it has to be done. I’m scared as all fuck that people will get hurt tonight,” he admitted quietly.

It wasn’t going to do for him to admit that he was also scared about Malfoy and Snape getting hurt, too. He was still struggling admitting that to himself and he had a clue as to what was going on.

“We know you’re scared as well,” Hermione said softly. “But something’s changed you over the last month.”

“I thought you were determined before, but this new you is amazing,” Ginny said.

Harry shook his head in exasperation. “I haven’t changed all that much,” he protested. “All three of you know I’ve been determined all along – especially since Dumbledore’s death – to win this war, whatever it takes.”

“You didn’t sound so grown up about it before, though,” Hermione said knowingly but sadly. “I reckon I just didn’t quite realize how much Dumbledore’s death would affect you.”

Harry thought about that. He didn’t exactly feel any more grown up than before. He just felt like he was taking his responsibilities more seriously. Is that what made him grown up, he wondered.

In the past, Dumbledore had always been there. He’d been there to take the lead. He’d been there to protect and guide. He’d been a tremendous safety net for Harry.

Harry didn’t want to try to take Dumbledore’s place and he’d meant every word he’d said to the Order. He wasn’t trying to take his place, but he was admittedly taking on some of the tasks that Dumbledore had been trying to complete. This included everything from calling an Order meeting in an emergency to trying to help Malfoy and bring him over to the right side.

He frowned, trying to figure out if he was taking on more responsibilities that he should be. Were there people better suited than him to take on Dumbledore’s unfinished tasks? It wasn’t like he was actually trying to do it all himself.

For the meeting, he’d been helped by numerous people—and a phoenix. Snape, McGonagall, Hermione, and Remus had all helped in one way or another.

He probably sounded a bit odd regarding the potions, but that was because no one knew about Snape. He was hoping like crazy that Snape would actually help him in that regard, realizing there was no guarantee the man would be willing, but he’d also been right that he had the monetary resources to help if need be.

Regarding Snape, Harry sure didn’t have much control there. Snape was the one in charge. It had required a lot of searching through known facts and trying to sort through his own emotions, but they’d come to some kind of understanding. Harry had to give credit to Dumbledore himself for helping with that.

Regarding Malfoy, Harry realized that he still didn’t have a clue as to what was really going on there. Dumbledore had made the initial effort to coax Malfoy to the other side, but Harry knew there was a lot more going on there. Most, but not all, was centred on a small child called Victoria.

Yes, Harry was dealing with certain things that Dumbledore would have been if he were alive, but it wasn’t like Harry was fulfilling the roles in exactly the same way. Harry felt like he was still floundering, and it was taking everything he had to stay afloat.

“Harry!”

“What?” Harry asked, startled out of his thoughts.

“Well, at least some things haven’t changed,” Ron grumbled.

“You were lost in thought again,” Ginny stated the obvious with a huge grin.

Harry gave her a slight smile before facing Hermione. “I’ve got a lot on my mind and a lot to do. And I plan on succeeding. If trying to deal with all these responsibilities makes me grown up, then I reckon you’re right,” he said.

“You don’t have to do it alone,” Hermione said sternly.

Harry shrugged. “I’m not doing it alone. Oddly enough, I think I’ve got more support for getting things done than I ever have before.” He gestured to the length of joined tables. “I believe I’ve even got the entire Order behind me.”

Hermione blinked in the sudden realization that he was right. He wasn’t about to tell her about Snape, Malfoy and Winky who were also helping him. Of course, Malfoy came with his own set of problems, but Harry wasn’t about to mention that, either.

“I’ve also still got you three,” Harry said quietly. He glanced at Fawkes who still sat on the perch beside him. “It seems I have Fawkes as well,” he said bemusedly.

“Phoenixes choose their owner,” Hermione said excitedly. “But I think Dumbledore likely had a big influence. Either way, it would appear that Fawkes has chosen you to be his owner now.

“Um, does this mean he’ll be living with me?” Harry asked curiously.

Fawkes trilled a couple notes, which seemed to be an affirmative answer.

Hermione was beaming while Ron and Ginny stared on in wonder. “I believe so,” Hermione said happily.

Harry sighed. It was great, he reckoned, but it meant he also needed to figure out how to care for a phoenix. He hoped Fawkes was as easy as Hedwig, because she pretty much took care of herself. His main job in terms of care was to give her some love and attention now and then.

“Hermione?” Harry questioned. He didn’t even have to ask before she was already answering.

“I’ll get right on it,” she said briskly. “I’ll find out everything you need to know about phoenixes, so that you’ll be able to care for him properly.”

“Plus everything you don’t need to know,” Ron muttered, receiving an elbow in the ribs from Hermione.

“This is quite an honour,” Hermione said.

“It is,” Harry said softly in agreement, reaching up to stroke Fawkes’ feathers and feeling closer to Dumbledore than he had since the man’s death.

“Come on, Ron,” Hermione said suddenly, standing up and dragging Ron up with her. “You can help me see what I can find about phoenixes in the books I’ve got here.”

“Why do I want to do that?” Ron asked incredulously.

“Because Harry needs to know,” Hermione said impatiently, tugging on his arm and getting him to follow her.

Harry watched them walk away and listened to their continued bickering in bemusement. There was a soft sigh behind him, and he turned to face Ginny.

“I believe Hermione was giving us a chance to be alone,” Ginny said.

“Oh,” Harry said, looking at Ginny warily.

Ginny rolled her eyes. “I know we’re not together anymore and they know it as well. They just seem to be a little more hopeful that we’ll be a couple again.”

“Ginny,” Harry said, before stopping. What was he supposed to say, he wondered. He didn’t actually want to get back together with her, but he didn’t want to hurt her, either.

“It’s all right, Harry,” she said gently. “I understand, even if they don’t, that it’s not just because of Dumbledore’s death, the war, and you needing to focus on all of that.”

“It’s not?” Harry asked stupidly.

Ginny chuckled. “Oh Harry, you know as well as I do that we weren’t really as suited to each other as we thought we’d be.”

Well, that was true enough, Harry thought. Their relationship hadn’t been quite what he’d expected it to be. It was nice enough, but he’d never truly been comfortable. Rather, he’d discovered that he was far more comfortable with her in a sister role than a girlfriend role. He just hadn’t realized that Ginny had come to the same conclusions.

He continued to stare at her blankly and she chuckled again, laughing at him. “Harry, I know you didn’t want to hurt my feelings, and I’m sure you honestly believed it was because of the war at the time you broke up with me. You don’t see Ron and Hermione breaking up because of the war, though, do you?” she questioned.

Harry’s brow furrowed as he frowned. “Well, no, but they don’t actually have the same responsibility, either.”

“True,” she conceded. “However, if we’d actually been as in love as Ron and Hermione are, you would have done anything to stay together and make it work despite the circumstances. When something is important to you, you put your all into it.”

“You’re important to me!” Harry protested. “I’d do anything I could to protect you!”

Ginny smiled. “Glad to hear that,” she said, confusing Harry more. She took his hand and squeezed it gently. “Harry, I used to have a tremendous crush on you. Even after I started dating, I still had a bit of a crush on you and I jumped at the chance of finally getting to be with you. Once I got there, though, I had a good time with you, but I slowly figured out that you’d become much more like one of my big brothers, rather than a boyfriend.”

“Are you trying to say I’m a bad boyfriend?” he asked, sounding a little defensive.

“No,” she said, with a wide grin. “That’s not what I’m saying at all. Amongst other qualities, you’re quite an excellent kisser . . . and more,” she said slyly.

“Shut it,” Harry hissed, glancing around them nervously. “I don’t need every one of your bloody brothers after me, let alone your mum.” He scowled at Ginny as she started laughing again. 

“That’s one of the things that makes you a good boyfriend,” she said.

“What?” Harry asked, confused yet again.

“You show respect,” Ginny answered. “I know very well how boys like to brag. You know my brothers, though, and you’ve respected that I don’t want the hassle of them knowing things like that.”

“It’s not respect, it’s fear,” Harry said flatly.

She grinned widely. “You, Harry Potter, are not the least bit afraid of my brothers.”

“Am, too,” Harry pouted.

Ginny went on as if she hadn’t heard him. “It’s just too bad I’m not the one for you,” she mused. “It’s tough to find someone who is willing to take on all my brothers.”

“Was I good for anything else?” Harry asked sarcastically.

“Sure, you were good for the sex,” Ginny said cheekily.

Harry couldn’t decide whether to groan or laugh. “I do like you, you know,” he retorted.

Ginny’s gentle smile returned. “Yeah, I know, and I like you, too. It’s just not anything more than that, for either one of us. We’re just better as friends. I think we were both trying to make something work between us because we thought there should be something between us.”

“Yeah,” Harry said softly in agreement, understanding what she meant.

“Joking aside, the sex was good, but it wasn’t spectacular anyway,” Ginny said blithely.

Slack-jawed, Harry stared at her incredulously. “Excuse me, but you’re the one who’s been talking about how good it was, and now you’re going to accuse me of . . . of . . .,” he trailed off, trying to figure out exactly what it was she was accusing him of. He just knew it didn’t sound good.

“Oh, come on, Harry, it was all fun and good and relaxing, but there wasn’t really any amazing spark between us,” Ginny said.

Staring at her, Harry realized that she had far more experience than he did. He’d known that since long before they’d started going together. Hell, she’d been the one to introduce him to everything hedid know about sex. He just hadn’t known that he’d been on some comparison scale and came up lacking.

“I’m sorry for not being good enough for you,” he said stiffly.

Ginny finally seemed to realize how Harry was taking what she was saying. “I’m not insulting you,” she said, sounding more affectionate than irritated. “It’s not like I’ve been with a ton of boys, but I know that there isn’t that something extra between us. We were more experimenting and learning.”

Harry was frowning again. He didn’t think he’d ever understand all this relationship stuff.

“I didn’t say we weren’t good together,” Ginny said. “I just don’t think we’re right together.”

Thinking about it, Harry realized that was pretty much the conclusion he’d come to, but he’d obviously come to the same point in a far different manner than Ginny had. He still felt a little insulted, but then he got to thinking about the fact that if he saw her as his sister, then sex probably shouldn’t be the best with her. He simply didn’t have any other experience to compare it to.

“There’s something a little odd about our relationship, isn’t there?” Harry said.

Ginny relaxed and laughed again. “Yes. I don’t think about how good the snogging is with my other brothers.” Her words hit her and they both shuddered. “There was something horribly wrong with that statement,” she muttered.

“Friends,” Harry said firmly.

“Friends,” Ginny agreed.

“So, who can we set you up with?” she asked, grinning mischievously. “I know an awful lot of girls who would love to go out with you.”

Harry groaned, not wanting to be set up with anyone. He had enough to handle with Draco at the moment. He couldn’t imagine trying to sort out a romantic relationship with some girl while everything else was going on.

It wasn’t long after their talk, that Ginny was called into the house to help Mrs. Weasley finish up dinner. Alone for a few minutes, finally, Harry laid his head on the table. It had already been a long day, and it was far from over yet. So much had happened, and he wasn’t getting much time to process any of it.

Upon a little more reflection, Harry decided maybe he didn’t want the time to process everything right now. There was too much going on and he didn’t bloody understand half of it, but he’d keep going forward. Things still needed to get done.

Everyone was tense during the meal. Mrs. Weasley was still not happy with any of them being involved in any way. She continued to dart irritated looks in Harry’s direction, alternated with looks of worry. To everyone at the table she was darting fearful looks, which was making everyone even more uncomfortable.

No one was looking forward to the events later that night and the tension was high. By the end of the meal, Harry was feeling extremely uncomfortable. Coming to a decision after the table had been cleared again, Harry grabbed up his rucksack.

“I’ve got some things to take care of, but I’ll be back before dark,” he declared to the group in general and disappeared with a pop before anyone could argue with him.

Taking a chance, Harry Apparated to Grimmauld Place first. If Snape had found out any additional information, he may have left a note or something for Harry. Malfoy knew the information, and Harry figured he likely would’ve shared it with Snape once they were both back at the Manor. He stepped into the house and made his way to the kitchen and was surprised to actually find Snape there.

“Potter,” Snape said coolly. “I have more information for you.”

Harry simply nodded expectantly in response. He listened intently as Snape filled him in on what Malfoy had already told him. The only thing it affected in the plans that had already been generated with the Order was that the lookouts weren’t needed in the other towns. Harry wasn’t going to bother telling his friends or anyone else that, though.

“Potter, why are you here at the moment?” Snape asked suspiciously.

“Well, um,” Harry said nervously. He really didn’t feel like getting Snape all worked up again.

“Spit it out, Potter,” Snape said.

“Madam Pomfrey is fine on potions for tonight, but will likely be running low shortly on several of them,” Harry said in a rush.

“And what am I to do about that?” Snape asked, brow arched.

“You could help,” Harry said irritably.

“Potter, they will not trust potions brewed by a Death Eater,” Snape sneered angrily.

“No, but McGonagall trusts your knowledge,” Harry mumbled.

“Potter, what are you suggesting?” Snape said coldly.

Harry groaned inwardly. When he’d volunteered, he hadn’t thought about how hard it would be to bring this up to Snape, let alone convince him to help.

“I told McGonagall I would make any of the potions that are taught in sixth year,” Harry admitted. “And I told her I’d find and purchase any of the others.”

“And she went along with this?” Snape asked incredulously.

“Yes,” Harry said. “I, um, had to explain to her about the book. Hermione was arguing with me about it again,” he muttered.

“You were arguing with Ms. Granger, about my book, and then described the book to McGonagall,” Snape repeated flatly.

Harry winced. “Yes.”

“After describing the book with all my notes, McGonagall agreed to put you, notorious for failing miserably in potions, in charge of brewing and supplying the hospital wing and the Order with all necessary potions,” Snape continued in that same flat tone that Harry considered to be very dangerous.

“Yes,” Harry answered again.

“And you think you can successfully brew the potions,” Snape said.

“I can do the potions from this last year,” Harry said. “With the book,” he admitted quietly.

Snape pinched the bridge of his nose, eyes shut, and Harry was unsure of what to expect. He was positive there should have been an explosion by now, and figured there was likely to be one still.

When Snape remained silent, Harry nervously continued, knowing he was likely damning himself, but seemingly unable to stop. “I’ve always had trouble learning potions from you, and we both know that, but I was able to follow the directions of the Half-Blood Prince. I learned a lot this year,” he said, not realizing how earnest he was sounding. “I’m positive I can brew those potions, at least, even though I’m still not that great at potions in general. I’m sure you hate it, but I don’t even have to understand it to be able to follow those directions. Right now, I couldn’t give a fuck about my NEWTs, which I’m not even sure I’ll be able to take. What I care about is being able to get potions to Madam Pomfrey who will need them.”

Harry sucked in a breath before continuing, as Snape was still standing there with eyes closed and pinching the bridge of his nose in silence. “When I talked to Professor McGonagall, I had hoped that you would help with the other potions that Madam Pomfrey needs. I could just pass them off as ones that I’d bought. I mean, I’ll have to buy the ingredients at least. And actually, I reckon I could actually pay you for making them,” he said, brow furrowing as he realized that Snape wouldn’t actually be getting any compensation for his work and his time like he surely must have at Hogwarts. Snape wasn’t likely to do things with nothing in return. He wasn’t the do-it-out-of-the-goodness-of-his-heart type.

Harry shook his head and continued. “I just know you’re the best and the Order could really use your help. If you’d rather, I can brew them myself, but even then I couldn’t do it without your help. I, um, well, I’d have to have your notes. And I reckon even then I’d have to go to Hermione to help me, because she actually understands potions. But if they weren’t too hard, then I could probably do it, because I’m not so sure she’d help me anyway. She hates the Half-Blood Prince because he’s been corrupting me all year. I don’t know how many times we’ve argued over it.”

Harry realized that he was continuing to ramble his thoughts as he was thinking through some of the many different complications with this not-well thought-out plan of his, but he couldn’t seem to stop. He’d never volunteered this much information to Snape, but this was extremely important.

“Look, I probably owe you an apology for using your book all year. I had no idea it was yours. And I know I owe you an apology for not giving it back when you asked for it,” he admitted. “I panicked. That book was like one of my best friends and I didn’t want to give it to you.”

Snape finally opened his eyes and looked at Harry in surprise, but he still didn’t comment.

Harry found it much more difficult to speak now that Snape was actually looking at him again. He stared at the man, finally feeling horrified that he’d revealed so much.

“So eloquent,” Snape sneered. “Do you ramble always so much information off to others?” he asked coolly.

Harry winced. “No,” he muttered. “But I wasn’t actually giving you any information that would hurt anyone—besides myself.”

“Indeed,” Snape smirked, sounding amused.

“I just need your help,” Harry said. “Rather, the Order needs your help. I just seem to be the only means to pass on that help.”

“How did the Order meeting go?” Snape asked. “I presume since you haven’t said anything that you were able to persuade them well enough and set things in motion for the counter-attack tonight.”

“Yes,” Harry said wearily. “And it seems I used up any eloquence I might have had at the meeting since I’ve lost it again now.”

Harry explained the events from the Order meeting, including Fawkes’ appearance. He was much more careful to make sure he left out the part about already focusing on the one town. He knew how to keep secrets and he had no idea what had possessed him to ramble like that.

Snape cast him an odd look when Harry was finished. “Indeed, it sounds like you were much more successful with your speech earlier.”

Harry sighed. “It’s just been a long day. I think, oddly enough, my brain seems to know I don’t have to keep my guard up quite as much with you.” He rubbed his temples, trying to stave off the headache that kept threatening. “There’s just been one thing after another today, and the day is nowhere near over. I had to get away from Mrs. Weasley for a bit, though, so I decided to stop here and leave you a note, then I was going to run to Hogwarts to get the potions book.”

“It’s still at Hogwarts?” Snape asked, tone sharp.

“Um, yeah,” Harry answered. “It’s still where I hid it when you wanted me to bring it to you,” he admitted.

“I see,” Snape said.

Harry wondered what the hell the man was seeing. He knew that he himself was acting a bit oddly around Snape, but then Snape was also acting oddly around him. He wondered if they were just too tired to keep fighting when they had so many other battles they had to deal with.

Snape had sat down and seemed to be lost in thought. Not sure what else to do, Harry set about making some tea. Snape didn’t say anything when Harry set a cup of tea in front of him, but he did pick it up and drink. Harry sat down, unwilling to break the silence since Snape had been fairly amicable.

“Potter, you have means for accessing the castle and manoeuvring within, without being detected,” Snape said finally.

Harry looked at him warily. That hadn’t been a question, but if it had been, they both knew the answer. “Yes,” he answered anyway.

Snape’s face was that expressionless mask that Harry didn’t particularly like, but it was better than the furious anger that often graced his features when he was looking at Harry. Harry had no idea what was going through the man’s mind. Not that he ever did, he thought wryly.

“You will meet me at the Shrieking Shack at two o’clock sharp tonight,” Snape said.

Harry stared at him incredulously. “You’re going to sneak into Hogwarts with me—tonight?”

“I need access to my rooms,” Snape sneered, eyes narrowed. “I doubt that McGonagall has had the time or the will to attempt to break my wards. She will likely be busy tonight after this battle.”

“Yeah, with the victims you’re going to help send to the bloody hospital wing!” Harry exclaimed. 

“Precisely,” Snape said sharply, throwing Harry’s thoughts off-kilter.

“That’s a good thing?” Harry asked in confusion.

“There will likely be many more in attendance at the castle tonight and McGonagall will be distracted. She will be less likely to notice any other visitors to the castle,” Snape said smoothly. “Therefore, we go tonight.”

Harry swallowed heavily, unable to believe what he was hearing. “I . . . I . . .,” he tried to speak, but couldn’t seem to come up with any words.

“Yes, you will be helping Severus Snape, evil Death Eater, back into Hogwarts for the first time since he killed Albus Dumbledore, leader of the Light,” Snape said coldly.

“Oh gods,” Harry moaned. “That’s exactly how everyone else would see it.”

Snape’s eyes widened marginally. “And you do not?”

“No,” Harry said slowly, meeting Snape’s gaze. “This is all just a little fucked up.”

Snape’s lips curled into a smirk, appearing amused rather than mocking. “Language, Potter,” he said evenly.

Harry’s eyes widened incredulously. Snape was going to worry about his language? Blinking, he realized that was all Snape was commenting on. “Well, this is fucked up,” he retorted.

“Indeed,” Snape said in acknowledgement.

Harry laughed a little, trying to ignore the fact that it came out sounding slightly hysterical. “Two o’clock?” he said to verify.

Snape gave him a curt nod. “The battle will certainly take place before midnight.”

Harry closed his eyes at the reminder that they still had a battle to face first. He pushed those thoughts aside for the moment, and thought again about sneaking him and Snape into Hogwarts. “We should meet closer to Honeydukes,” he said.

“Why?” Snape asked sharply.

“Because we want to get into Hogwarts, not just on the grounds,” Harry answered, cringing inwardly and sending a mental apology to the Marauders.

“This should prove to be an informative night,” Snape said.

Harry dropped his head into his hands and tried to remind himself that his secrets were a small price to pay for the healing potions that people would need.

* * * * *

Apparating back to the Weasley’s yard about forty-five minutes before sunset, he was instantly spotted by everyone there. It seemed most of the Order members had already returned.

“Harry!” Hermione shouted, running up to meet him and looking him over critically.

“Where’d you go, mate?” Ron asked worriedly.

“I had things to do,” Harry said, striding over to the table, leaving them staring after him with hurt expressions.

“Mr. Potter,” McGonagall said sternly, rising from her seat and meeting him halfway. “Would you care to explain where you have been this evening?”

“No,” Harry answered.

She blinked at him in surprise. Harry thought it was pretty clear that she hadn’t expected him to defy her by not answering.

“Mr. Potter,” she said warningly.

“Professor McGonagall,” he said politely.

Her lips thinned dangerously, and Harry realized that it wasn’t that long ago that he would have been terribly worried about his fate when she looked at him that way. Now, he had far bigger dangers to deal with.

He’d mentally prepared himself before returning, and had resolutely declared to himself that he was going to be calm, firm, and ready to do what was necessary to prepare himself and everyone else for this battle. He was determined to be strong and not weak in any way. Disconcertingly, he’d wondered if Snape, and especially Draco, went through the same kind of mental process to face the rest of the world.

“Mr. Potter, there are many who are concerned about you, particularly when you see fit to take off to unexplained destinations on your own,” McGonagall said.

“I appreciate the concern, ma’am, but there are things that I must do,” Harry said evenly.

“Not alone,” she said sharply.

Harry’s expression hardened. “Dumbledore left me with certain tasks that I need to take care of. He did not see fit to inform you of them while he was alive; I do not see fit to inform you of them after his death. I will respect his judgment of what must be kept secret for the time being, and I expect the same from you,” he said firmly.

McGonagall’s narrowed eyes stared at him for several long moments. “Very well, then,” she said, giving him a curt nod. She turned sharply on her heel and walked briskly over to the table to resume her seat.

Harry finally took notice of all the others gathered in the Weasley’s backyard. Some were staring at him with disapproval, some with acceptance, and some with awe. Glancing back at his friends, their gobsmacked expressions made him want to laugh at the same time that they made him realize just how significant his conversation with McGonagall was.

Striding to the table with an air of confidence that was only half forced, he sat in the chair at the head of the table again. The table remained quiet as everybody stared at him. He wasn’t sure what they were expecting from him, though. He glanced at McGonagall questioningly.

“I believe, Mr. Potter, that you should perhaps say a few words about this evening’s task,” she said sternly.

Why me, he wondered, but didn’t ask it out loud. Surely there had to be someone better suited to give a pep talk. This wasn’t remotely like being the Quidditch captain and giving the pep talk before a game.

Remus leaned over to whisper in his ear. “It’s not about age, knowledge or experience. They are looking to you for hope, Harry.”

Staring blankly at Remus, who offered him a sad smile, Harry finally began to understand a little better what Scrimgeour had wanted. But whereas Scrimgeour was mainly looking for that hopeful icon for the masses, the Order members were about to go out and risk their lives, based on information that Harry had given them.

Harry felt that weight settle more firmly on his shoulders, but he straightened them regardless and stood to address the group. First he looked to Moody. “How long do we have?”

“Thirty minutes,” Moody said gruffly.

Harry nodded. “All right, then.” He took a deep breath. “We don’t have long before everyone will need to take up their positions. I can’t say for sure, but I believe that the attack will happen sometime before midnight, and probably not long after full dark sets in.”

He thought about his Quidditch speeches. “No matter how long the wait might be, keep to your positions, and don’t let your attention waver. Each person’s role tonight is very important. We have the element of surprise and we will use it to our advantage. The Death Eaters don’t know what our strategies are. The tactics we’ve chosen to use will help us win.”

Ron was frowning at him, and Harry realized that Ron probably knew it sounded familiar but couldn’t recognize why. Ginny was trying to hide her grin behind her hand.

Harry smiled, startling several people, considering the gravity of the situation. “This is a battle and, yes, this is extremely serious with lives at stake, but I have great confidence that we will win. And we’ll win, because we can work together to make it happen for us.”

He paused for a thoughtful moment before speaking again. “It was suggested this afternoon that we would be going over the battle strategies one more time tonight. I don’t think we will.”

Moody spoke up immediately. “It’s necessary,” he growled.

“No,” Harry said, shaking his head at Moody. “Everything was gone over quite thoroughly this afternoon. The matter is too serious for anyone to have forgotten in just a few short hours. The only purpose it would serve is to make everyone even more nervous than they already are.” He addressed the group as a whole again. “We’ve done our planning, and now it’s time for action.”

“This is a little unorthodox, Potter,” McGonagall declared.

Harry shrugged. “Probably, but I’m confident we’re as ready as we can be for this. This is not a time to second guess our strategies. This is the time when we go out there and get the job done.” He didn’t dare look over towards Ron and Ginny. Surely even Ron had figured out by now where he’d heard Harry say half this before. 

In fact, McGonagall was now giving Harry a suspicious look. “It is beneficial that the Order members are used to working together as a team, isn’t it, Potter?” she said.

“It is,” he answered simply, grinning widely and knowing she’d finally caught on to his modified Quidditch speech. 

Her lips twitched in amusement, but she nodded her acceptance. Harry turned back to face the others. “Are we ready to do this, then?”

He received a lot of nods and even a few smiles. “Then let’s get going.”

Harry went to retrieve his Invisibility Cloak, but Remus stopped him and folded him in a tight hug. “You be careful out there,” Remus whispered.

“You, too,” Harry said, his voice muffled in Remus’ chest.

Remus let him go with a worried smile, not making any further comment.

Ron, Ginny and Hermione caught up to him. “I’m suddenly very glad McLaggen isn’t in the Order,” Ginny said with a wide grin.

Ron’s grin was just as broad. “I do love Quidditch,” he said cheerfully.

Harry shrugged, but smiled in return. “I couldn’t think of anything else.”

Hermione was giving all three of them an odd look. “Why are you talking about Quidditch now?” she asked.

“Life lessons,” Harry said flippantly.

“Harry,” Hermione said warningly.

“I’ll explain it to you when we go,” Ron said, his tone indicating he was happy that he had something to explain to Hermione for a change.

Hermione didn’t look overly pleased, but Harry was grateful for the bit of levity as they left to take up their posts.