Boys and Girls Collide

"What am I supposed to do Josefine?"

"I don't know Ally! Just add some eggs!"

"Eggs? Why would I do that?"

"I don't know!"

I watched Ally and Josefine bicker over at their lab table. They were trying to make their beaker fizz over, but haven't succeeded yet. That's what Francis, my lab partner, and I were doing to. "Hey Chris, pass me about a fourth cup of yeast." I nodded and wrote down what we added, then handed it to her. She poured it in slowly, and sadly nothing happened. The point of the project was to make the beaker fizz over, and record what we did. It was a stupid lab activity, really, but turned out to be difficult. "How about we shake it?" I suggested. "Totally! I'll go see if they have some gloves!" she walked off. Francis was my second closest friend. She was tall and had black hair that was cut in a bob cut. With big brown eyes and a pale complexion, I mistook her for a vampire. She turned out to be really nice, and the best drummer I've ever heard. "Chris! They have food coloring!" I smiled and we added purple, red, blue, lime green, and orange coloring to the beaker. We slipped a lid on the beaker, then shook it as hard as we could. Setting it back down, it vibrated on the table, then exploded! A rainbow of colors shot out of the beaker, and our science teacher clapped happily. We fist pumped the air, and our teacher stuck an A+ on both our notebooks. Josefine and Ally glared at us. "Since you girls finished early, you are welcome to-" our teacher was cut off short by the announcements over the microphone. "Hello ladies. I'm sure you'll all be pleased to hear that after a thorough discussion with the gentlemen's principal, we have decided to make physical education and after school clubs intramural. That will be all." the whole school seemed to sit still, then suddenly everyone cheered. We clapped joyfully around the room. My next class was PE! This was going to be fun!

I slipped on my gym clothes in the locker room, then opened the two doors. The boys were definitely on the other side, but no one was speaking to each other. I walked to my friends, and saw him. Jonathan. Darn! This was almost perfect! I didn't look at him as we chatted away on random crap I honestly didn't care about.

"Attention students. Ladies, my name is Coach Johnson."

"And gentlemen my name is Coach Valerie."

"We will both be co-running the gym classes from now on. We decides that first, we would do a wrestling unit. So, choose a partner and start practicing. Then, we will have some competitions." said Coach Johnson.

"Go! Come on ladies show these men what you're made of!" Coach Valerie was always very competitive. She loves me, I must say. But I was never really the athletic type. Only in gym.

After some sparring, the coaches called us over. "Ok. Each girl will face off a boy. Let's go. Alyssa against Simon." A tiny girl and boy approached each other, and the boy won. After watching some more competitions, my name was sadly called.

"Ok, Chris against Mike." A tall, masculine dude with short cut blonde hair strolled onto the mat. "Come one! I want some REAL competition!" the guy exclaimed. I clenched my jaw and smacked my gum. Seriously. This guy. I got in a standing position, and he just smirked at me. He came at me, but I punched his jaw causing him to stumble backwards. I winked at him as he wiped his jaw. He grabbed my waist, and I instantly grabbed his waist and dug my fingernails into his sides. He winced as I stomped on his left foot with mine, then using my right foot I hooked it around his right leg and tripped him underneath himself. He landed on his back with a groan. I blew a bubble, then popped it obnoxiously just to show off. "Coach, next time I'd like some REAL competition." I smirked as he grumbled under his breath. I got multiple high fives from my friends and some boys. Maybe gym would be fun.

Ugh. Jonathan was staring at me. How am I supposed to eat in peace with those green eyes staring into my soul? I took a bite of my salad, but it wasn't appetizing anymore. I dumped it in the garbage and waved good bye to my friends. I snatched my camera out of my locker then decided to do some photography outside.

It was a brilliant Friday afternoon. I put the camera strap around my neck, and adjusted the lens to take pictures of the leaves. They were green, just turning red and orange. No yellow leaves yet. I strolled down the hill, taking pictures of anything I liked. My Canon sleek black camera. Mmmm. Carol gave it to me for my birthday. I loved photography. Glancing around, I saw a boy sitting on a hill. I zoomed in, but I couldn't see who it was. Not that I would know. I watched him wave at me, and I gave a little wave back. I decided to sit down, so I walked over to the hill. The light fall breeze blew my hair behind me, and I closed my eyes. I could practically feel someone sit beside me. "Chris?" I looked sideways and saw Jonathan. Great. "Yes?" I asked. "I'm really sorry about canceling our date last minute! I didn't want to, but Coach J gave us a surprise rugby practice that I couldn't get out of!" he pleaded, and I smiled. He did have a good reason. "It's alright." he smiled a big grin and moved closer to my side. "I saw you in gym this morning. You have skill." he said. "Yeah, if you count dabbling in dirty boxing." he tilted his head to the side, "You were a boxer.?" he asked. "Once upon a time." I said looking at my camera and playing with the buttons. We sat in silence for a little while. It was a pleasant silence though, not at all awkward. Finally, he spoke up. "Chris, do you maybe want to perhaps redo our first date?" he asked. I thought about it, I really would like to though. "I found about this new skate arena downtown. It would be a lot of fun." he gave me the cutest puppy dog face I'd ever seen. "Don't look at me like that. It's really cute." I squeezed his cheek, and he slapped my hand away. "So is that a yes?" he asked. "Yes!" he hugged me and I wrapped my arms around his neck hugging back. This was certainly going to be fun.