Chapter 43 The Council

There was a knock at the door. Ms. Daisy awoke and went for it. She opened it to a very angered and frustrated looking Orrin. “Orrin,” She began. He looked at her and a sigh escaped his lips. “I should have beaten the bastard!” he cried. “No Orrin,” Ms. Daisy cried. “He didn’t even know where she was, heck he didn’t even look like he was sober!” he cried. Ms. Daisy looked at him and shook her head. She thought about Amelia. “Listen, Orrin I think that she might have run away,” Ms. Daisy said. Orin gazed at her waiting for her to continue. “She got a call while I was in the kitchen one day I didn’t get to answer it but I heard her, it sounded like she was pleading but I’m not sure.” His eyes widened. “Why didn’t you... Ok so who could have done it?” he asked. He gritted his teeth as he thought. Ms. Daisy looked at him, suddenly it all became too much for her. She remembered Amelia, her letters, everything seemed to be happening all over again, she lost Amelia then what about Jane?”

            “Orrin, there’s something else,” she said. She told him about the letters that Amelia used to get, about how she had promised to keep it a secret for her, about how Amelia had promised to tell him about it after the baby was born but she never did get too. He just gazed at her with his eyes slowly going an orange hue. When she was finished she left the room. Orrin started to pace. He thought about everything that he had just heard. “It seemed so unnatural for Amelia to keep that to herself and not tell him. Before he could think long however Ms. Daisy returned with an old knotted cloth. “I was hoping that I would never open this again,” she said. He looked on as she unwrapped it and procured several old letters that bore several creases. “Are they?” he said. She nodded. She gave it to him and looked on as he sifted through them. As he read them his face became drawn while his eyes retracted. “Why?” he said. When he reached the last one that was the last straw. He flung them to the ground and tore it apart. “How could she have done this to me?” he cried, “We could have still been together, she could have been alive!”

            He gazed up at Ms. Daisy with moist eyes. “Why Serafina, why didn’t you tell me before?” She gazed at him and then spoke. “Orrin, I tried so many times, you wouldn’t believe but before I could I remembered her promise and the one I had made to her, I remembered the promise of a gypsy.” He shook his head and then dropped on the sofa. “We could have been,” he said and trailed off. “I was right,” he said, “The council needs to hear about this,” Ms. Daisy looked at him aghast. “No!” she said. He looked at her and then nodded. “I have to, I’m part of them, all my investigations into her death everything, I wanted to know was right here,” he said and pointed to the letters. Ms. Daisy shook her head. “Don’t you want to know who killed her?” he cried, “Who killed a part of our life?” Ms. Daisy sniffled. “They are the only one’s who can help us,” he continued. “Once I tell William about her he’ll have to help,” he said. “What about Jane?” Ms. Daisy said. Orrin looked at her. “You think the same thing’s happened to her,” he said. She shrugged her shoulders. “Why?” he asked. Before she could answer he had gotten up and was pacing the room. “I need answers, I need to find out,” he said. He stopped and looked at her before heading to the door. “I’m going,” was all he said before he exited. Ms. Daisy sighed and sat down.