Another Monday

On Monday morning, Louis almost flew out of bed the second he woke up. He didn't even bother looking at the time before he packed his bag for school, and then the one for football practice afterwards. He spent almost ten minutes contemplating which shirt to wear, before he decided to check the weather forecast first, making his decision just a bit easier. He chose to wear one of his favourite band tees and put a bomber jacket over for some warmth.

After he was fully dressed, he ran downstairs into the kitchen and found a loaf of bread, a dish of butter and a plate on the table together with a few spreads and cheese. He wasn't surprised about his parents already being gone and leaving breakfast for him on the table. He quickly made two open-faced sandwiches to eat for breakfast and a closed sandwich to take for lunch.

Just as he had finished everything he needed to do in the morning, he decided to check the time on his phone. A frustrated groan escaped his lips when he saw it was only 07:18, he still had so much time left before he needed to be at school. Then he got an idea, threw on his shoes and grabbed his bag in a hurry and rushed out the door.

From the street right by Louis' house there was an entrance into the forest. There was an earth path that evolved into gravel and then a paved path that reached all the way to their school. Louis knew for sure that Harry normally took this path to school, because he didn't like taking the school road. He hoped he would be able to reach the boy and walk with him to school.

While he was hurrying along the path, he paid close attention to his surroundings, taking in the crisp morning air and the grass that would soon give in to the frosty autumn mornings that were to come.

It didn't take too long until he saw a head of brown curls crossing into the path in front of him. Louis noticed his own face brighten up as he walked faster to catch up with the boy. When he had caught up with Harry, he still didn't seem to notice him, so Louis decided to alert him of his presence.

"Don't get scared. Hi," he said with humour lacing his voice.

Harry who hadn't noticed Louis' presence jumped at this and put his hand on his heart, laughing nervously, before his face suddenly became alarmed. His eyes turned big as he looked at Louis, making an attempt to sit down.

Louis was by no means a slow person, and instantly understood what he had done. He quickly stepped forward and scooped his arm behind Harry's back, catching his fall as the boy lost consciousness.

"Fucks sake," he mumbled under his breath as he carefully put Harry's head against the ground. Out of habit, he checked his pulse, just to be sure, nodding in satisfaction as he felt a slow and steady heartbeat. Raising his legs was almost not necessary, seeing as Harry's eyes were already opening, but Louis wanted to be sure his brain received enough blood flow.

"I'm so sorry, I really meant it when I said that I didn't want to scare you," Louis mumbled sheepishly.

He looked back at Harry's face, and he was – smiling? Why was he smiling?

"Isn't it funny how I have managed to keep all my fainting spells private for as long as they have been present, but you show up and you've already seen me faint twice? I never imagined anyone staying as calm as you do when someone drops lifelessly to the ground in front of them. It makes me wonder if you actually are a serial killer." Harry giggled. Then he had to hold his hand in front of his mouth for a few seconds. "I feel like shit, do you have some water?"

Louis mumbled that he was sorry a few more times while handing Harry his water bottle and watching him drink, before helping him up on his feet. As they started to continue their walk to school, Louis snuck in one more "I'm sorry", but Harry gave him a death glare, telling him to stop. They let the subject go, easily changing it to something more light-hearted as they walked side by side on the little path that led to their school.