Obituary

OBITUARY

Emma Kost O’Neal, 70, daughter of the late Terrance and Elizabeth Leffingwell Kost of Old Lyme and Wethersfield, died at her home on Sunday, September 29. Mrs. O’Neal was the granddaughter of Earl G. Kost, prominent merchant, financier and philanthropist and founder of the Kost retail empire extant throughout North America and the United Kingdom.

Mrs. O’Neal attended Ms. Porter’s in Farmington, Connecticut, and later matriculated to Mount Holyoke College, North Hanover, Massachusetts, where she studied English literature and composition and graduated magna cum laude.

In 1954 she married Thomas (Tommy) O’Neal of West Hartford on Mr. O’Neal’s return from distinguished duty in the Korean Conflict, for which he was awarded the Bronze Star. Mr. O’Neal owned and operated the O’Neal Funeral Home on Asylum Avenue, Hartford, and on his death in 1987 the operation and business of the O’Neal Mortuary fell to the capable hands of the deceased, Emma Kost O’Neal. Mrs. O’Neal is survived by a grand-niece, Emmanuelle (Manny) Whitman.

Calling hours will be 2:00 PM and 7:00 PM, Tuesday and Wednesday at the O’Neal Mortuary. The funeral will be held at St. Richard’s Episcopal Church, Thursday at 11:00 AM, Wethersfield. Mourners are urged to make donations to the Kost-O’Neal Charitable Trust established by Mrs. Kost-O’Neal in 1970 to shelter, feed and clothe children in several third world countries.