Chapter 5 - Dystopian hero's judgment

The members of Academia and the Heartland resistance help the survivors. They tend to the wounds of the injured, as well as unload crates of food and drink for them to live on. Some are reunited with friends they thought they'd lost. The sisters watch over everything as Edo and Yuya stand alone, looking over what's left of Heartland. "Zarc's returning Edo. At least that's what Reiji said. He's sent me to reform the Lancers. So he sent me here to collect Shun." Yuya looks back at the camp, seeing Dennis entertain those that are unable to help. "I got Dennis to join, so this trip won't be a waste. And I know with you and the girls, he won't stand a chance." Edo remains silent, allowing Yuya to talk. "Soon this will all be over, and we can put Zarc behind us."

"Yuya?" Edo finally speaks. "Last time we fought Zarc, he got smacked around. There were 10 of us, and it took Reira to give us an opening." "We beat him before, we can do it again." "No Yuya. We got lucky before." Edo looks across the city's ruined landscape. "Do you believe you have what it takes to defeat Zarc? I know you're strong. But, can you face something as evil as him?" Yuya looks at the ruins of the city too and starts to doubt himself. "No. This time, I have control of myself. Yuto and I can defeat him if it comes to that." Edo raises a brow to this claim. "Only you and Yuto?" "Yeah, why?" Edo shakes his head and walks away from the edge. "Regardless, I can't allow you to travel to Academia."

As Edo walks away, Yuya turns to face him, with a determined look in his eye. "Well, regardless of what you say, I'm going." Before Yuya could set his disk to take him to the Fusion Dimension, a chain latches itself to his duel disk, switching it to duel mode. Yuya looks up to see Edo had activated his too. "If you can beat me in a duel, I'll let you continue on your mission. Otherwise, I'll send you back to Standard." Yuya nods his head and tries to turn the duel into an action duel, to no avail. "My chain has disabled your action field spell, this will be a proper duel. I need to see if you can duel without relying on action cards to save your life." Slightly panicked, Yuya breathes in, and prepares to duel. With the terms set, they both declare "DUEL!" before drawing their opening hands. Their battle cry catches the attention of some of those at the camp.

Duel

Yuya 4000LP

VS.

Edo 4000LP

"I activate Polymerization." Edo starts his turn with his trump card right off the bat. "I fuse Drillguy with Dreamguy in my hand. Fusion Summon! Level 8! Destiny Hero - Dystopiaguy!" Using his heroes, Edo summons his faithful ace monster to the field.

[Dystopiaguy LVL 8 Dark Warrior Fusion ATK 2800]

"When I fusion summon him, I can target 1 of the materials used to summon him, and inflict damage to you, equal to its attack. I target Drillguy." Using the power of its material, Edo's hero hits Yuya head on with a blast of dark power. Yuya is pushed back towards the edge; only the chain that connects his disk stops him from going over.

[Yuya LP 4000 - 2400]

"I'll set 2 cards face down before ending my turn." Yuya gets back onto his feet after the attack. "Remember Yuya. Zarc won't be this forgiving, so why should I be?" Yuya draws from his deck, then looks at his hand. His hand lacks his signature Odd-Eyes, or cards to allow him to summon Dark Rebellion. "What's the matter Yuya? I thought you and Yuto were enough to beat the likes of Zarc, but you're struggling against me." "Wait." Yuya says to himself. He takes a deep breath, and closes his eyes. Everyone stops to watch the duel. They see Yuya standing there like a statue, doing nothing.

Inside his mind, Yuya tries to find someone. "Hello? If Yuto is here, then surely the rest are too." He finds himself in the dark void again. "Yuri!" He calls out the name of the duellist, to get no response. "Yuri! Are you there?" A blinding purple light appears before Yuya. As it fades away, he finds Yuri on the floor, arms curled up around his legs. "I'm to blame Yuya. I was a tool. And I was used as a weapon." "Yuri?" Yuya reaches out for the duelist, only for the flash of light to appear again.