VIII.

Still processing the random, unexpected appearance of her brother, Marjorie stood frozen in her door way as the older man got up out of her bed

                        Still processing the random, unexpected appearance of her brother, Marjorie stood frozen in her door way as the older man got up out of her bed. She watched him roll up the bag of junk food, lick his fingers, then bring her into a rib-crushing hug that lifted her off her feet just slightly.

"I missed you!" He exclaimed.

When he finally let her go after a long moment, he stepped back to meet her gaze, which was less excited and more shocked. She took a deep breath in and held it before finally saying, "What the hell are you doing here?!"

"Can't a guy just visit his baby sister for fun?" Marjorie looked at Mark with a serious expression. The man sighed, "C'mon, Marj, aren't you at least a little happy to see me?"

"Of course I am! I'm absolutely thrilled that you're here. I'm just concerned about the story behind your surprise visit. Also, it's after 1am and I just got home from a really rough case. I'm tired, Mark."

He nodded, "I see."

Well, now Marjorie felt bad. She knew her brother was an emotional guy, but her lack of sleep meant she didn't really have the energy or patience to deal with it. She thought for a moment, then exhaled and opened up her arms for a second hug.

"I am glad you're here," She told him. His mood instantly lifted and he smiled. She rolled her eyes playfully, wagging her finger as she spoke, "But don't think I'm not gonna interrogate you on your reasons for being here." He frowned again. "Not now, though. I'm freaking exhausted. Can we talk in the morning?" Marjorie asked. Her brother nodded.

The woman went over and collapsed on her comforter, sprawling out. She heard footsteps come closer, then felt the sheets pull back and the mattress dip down, signaling Mark trying to get in the bed. "There's a cot in the hall closet," Marjorie mumbled against the thick comforter.

Mark huffed, "It's a queen, we both could fit--"

"Goodnight," The blonde woman interrupted.

He let out a childish whine, then left the bedroom, shutting the door behind him. Marjorie smiled to herself at the sound of it. He never changes, she thinks. Reaching up to the lamp on her nightstand, she turned it off. Sleep consumed her pretty quickly after that.

————————

The next morning, Marjorie woke up at 8. She quickly showered and changed, then went to her kitchen. The woman jumped out of her skin when she saw Mark sitting at the counter eating toast. She had almost forgotten he was there due to her morning fogginess.

"Moooorning," he drew out.

"Hi," she smiled at him while going to open the fridge.

"So, I'm thinking today we could go out and do something. Pop into some bars, just have fun."