Chapter 7 - The Test (I / II)

3RD

Several large conglomerate hills of various colors stood untouched in the Darker World. A dense fog that seemed to be creeping from a height of the mountains and cliffs touch the rumbling and unsettling clouds above. The fog itself seemed as if it was drawn to the electrical charges within the clouds as one can see feint outlines of a narrow funnel follow a center of a mysterious swirling dark force. Like a black hole that was devouring a nearby star. But it was one of many.

Lastly, the wispy breath of the wind whistled a constant eerie tune from every direction. It was once a world where the atmosphere itself was seemingly a mixture of blue and green, now the green overpowers the blue haze. Ultimately giving this side of the planet more life and, subsequently, more biodiversity.

Nevertheless, however, it remained unsettling. Even with the revival of sudden life and evolution, the atmosphere remained creepy as ever.

.
.
.

Painite desperately needed to feel accomplished at something she can be good at, or at least something she feels she may progressively get better at.

So, despite her multiple choices of sensible methods, she chose to fight a large creature deeper into the Darker World. Much farther than the ravine from earlier.

In Painite's eyes, it was difficult to see or hear anything within radius. For a human to land on this planet and step out into the open area, the radiation would rupture their insides in a matter of hours. If, by some miracle, a human survives, then they would simply die due to exposure of extreme temperatures that reaches as low as - 264° (F) up to 298° (F). The native species of the planet has evolved to grow accustomed to the extreme conditions placed into the habits. Due to Painite's strange and anonymous powers, the radiation hostility had been reduced to nearly half. Just enough for evolution to take place and for nature to take its course.

However, Painite has discovered that there is a habitable zone just below the surface, with ideal temperatures and vegetation. Obviously that means there's life present. So, naturally, when she entered the ravine, further into a large cave system, her mind had not register how vastly different it was compared to the surface.  Furthermore, she was traumatized beforehand, so Yellow's warning did not come into mind.

Though there was no main source of light from where she was, she used the power of her gem to determine the life source connected underground. Unfortunately, she had encountered a group of Night Terrors before finalizing important documents.

Though, her priority was to reign on top of this world. Painite kept a mental note to study this world's significance before leaving, perhaps there's a reason why this planet was a failed colony.

Painite knew she was different. When she came out of her hole, she was already aware just how different she came out compared to the other gems. Thought she has no idea what powers she may contain. Painite, however, knew she was not a prey to begin with, rather she's a being with infinite energy. A being with unyielding potential, one that could influence the universe with just a singular command.

.
.
.

A booming roar ricocheted all around the valley followed by the sound of a crumbling conglomerate hill nearby. The ground shook like an earthquake before a cloud of dust erupted into the air. It was quiet for a moment, before a low growling could be heard within. Then, the sound of footsteps slowly inching forward. Closer and closer into clear view, what ever creature it was, came close enough so its silhouette was visible.

Painite quickly leaped back when a large snout quickly emerged from the dust to bite Painite's head clean off. Painite let out a soft huff before straining out a grunt when the hostile creature quickly bolted at her. She bent her knees and proceeded to roll to the side away from the wall. Painite's eyes never left the two-legged beast that had a wide body frame and, unsurprisingly, three sharp horns. Two were bent at the side of its temple, along with a short center.

A lightning struck at the top of a pointy hill, then the sound of thunder followed shortly.

Painite took notice of its extraordinarily long tail and strange lower body, it seemed to be a mutation of two separate species combined.

Suddenly, while she was distracted, its long tail stretched twice its original length towards Painite, before wrapping it around her right leg and throwing her body to the opposite side of the valley.

Her yelp was not because of the impact of being thrown into a solid wall, but the surprise of its tail and its strange ability to stretch. However, Painite quickly got back on to her feet before hurdling herself towards the creature. Which she has now identified as "Indescribable" because it was a mixture of some human fantasy troll or orc.

Painite held her ground when their fists collided with one another, it turned into a battle of strength. Despite the Indescribable's towering figure, Painite stood strong, like she was hardly breaking a sweat. Eventually, It took notice and tried to headbutt Painite.

Up to this point, Painite saw the events occur in slow motion. She saw the creature about to headbutt her, and the first thing that came to mind was to flea and to jump back. However, upon that thought, it was immediately diminished. Her pride won't let her stand down any longer than she has been put down for.

With gritted teeth and determination, Painite quickly changed stance to withstand a powerful head bonk. She uncurled her fingers and gripped tightly onto its' fists. Painite craned her neck back, her view changed from the stunning green glare of the Indescribable to the densely packed black swirly clouds above.

And for a moment, Painite thought to her self.

Is this it?

Am I doing this right?

Will this be enough to prove my own worth?

It was a brief moment of peace before Painite snapped back into reality and glared right back at the creature. She felt its fist try to push her back, however she held on. She stood her place.

She took a sharp breath in before banging her head right at the curvature of its horn at the center of its forehead. It immediately cracked upon impact before falling right off.

The Indescribable has faltered all its movement, even its sneak attack with its tail, when it had realized what the damage had done to its horn. It took several steps back, suddenly it turned away from Painite before running away.

Painite didn't dare to question its retreat, assuming that those creature take great pride in their horns. She was quiet for a moment before her legs started shaking from the loss of adrenaline rush. Though she didn't rest, nor sat down even for a moment.

Mentally, she was celebrating her very first victory.

Perhaps it was the foreign feeling of victory that swept her off her feet that she refused to sit down. Or the moment where she refused to back down. Either way, Painite's self worth journey had only just begun.

And a new challenger rises once more.

1217