The Morning After

Aria

It was the next day after the gala.

I woke up extra early so I could go on a quick jog around the palace grounds. I went into Xavier's room to see if he was still sleeping, he was.

He looked so peaceful sleeping, if only he would sleep forever. That way I wouldn't have a guard who puts knives to my throat and trips me so I fall in glasses of wine.
He also hates me. I don't even know why. What did I even do to him?

Whatever. I'm just going to go on this run. He was probably not going to wake up for a while. It was only 5 am.

I slipped on my running shoes and jogging pants and put my hair in a low ponytail.

I loved running in the morning, which was something I did everyday now. I went and jogged through the palace land. It was the only thing that kept my mind off everything that happened. Mom never lets me go farther though. She says it's 'Much too dangerous. Especially with the rebels.'Don't get me wrong, I'm so grateful for the life I have, but I wish she wasn't so protective.

I had just run 2 miles and by then it was 5:45. A thirty minute run.

After that I usually went into the kitchen to make myself something to eat, or maybe just to talk to Juan. He was one of the chefs that worked at the palace. He was 23 and one of my longest and closest friends.

I ran over there.

He was there, just like always.

"Hey Juan." I slowed my pace and walked up next to him.

"Hey Aria."

"What are you making?"

"Some pastries for the tea party your mom is throwing this evening."

"What?"

"You didn't know?"

"No."

"Oh. Well you know your mother."

"Yeah." I laughed, "Ok, I'm going to go take a shower. Talk to you later Juan."

"Bye Aria."

***

Xavier

That was the comfiest bed I've ever slept in.

Now I understand what the phrase 'slept like a baby means.'

Time to go check on the princess. It's only 6. I bet she sleeps until noon.
I chuckled to myself.

"Princess.." I said softly. "You awake?"

Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.

That's what my father used to say.

I hope you're proud dad. I'm getting revenge for you and mom. For Axle.

For me, just like how you would have wanted.

Well my enemy is certainly close. I looked into her room.

Her bed was made.
She was up?
Where was she?

The bathroom door opened.

Oh.

She didn't see me. A towel was wrapped around her body and another one was around her hair.

She was humming a soft tune as she grabbed some clothes off the dresser and went back into the closet to change.

Regular clothes, not fancy princess clothes.

She was still humming the tune when she came out, fully dressed.