Chapter 6

Slowly, it became a bad habit for the friends to wake up and find themselves in a worse situation than before already

Slowly, it became a bad habit for the friends to wake up and find themselves in a worse situation than before already. Especially because Intak had been separated from his friends, while Kai and Yeonjun were separately in a cage made of bamboo and branches. Very sturdy, impossible to get out of. They had even hung a blanket between their cages so they could not see each other.

Yeonjun was the first of them to open his eyes, blinking around the area, trying to focus despite the dizziness.

But he couldn't.

They had all taken a blow to the head during the raid, knocking them out completely. That was where the sharp pain on the back of Yeonjun's head came from, which he rubbed with a groan. He was lying on earthy, damp ground, where he could also feel some leaves under his fingers, trying to piece together what had happened. Intak had been injured and a young boy had helped them escape the attackers. Shortly after, he had led them on and the group had been attacked again. Yeonjun was not sure if it had been a trap. After all, he had seen the boy run away.

Had someone run after him?

How many people lived here and why did they arrest them?

More to the point, why did they put them in these cages like animals?

Did the boys seem like a danger to them?

Sighing, Yeonjun tried to sit up, but the pounding in his head grew stronger. Likewise, his heart was racing and he didn't know why.

Was it fear that paralyzed him?

On all fours, he scrambled toward the barrier, holding onto it with his hands. His breathing was heavy and when Yeonjun tried to analyze the surroundings outside the cage, he couldn't. "K-Kai," he croaked, hoping his mate would be nearby.

His voice was only breathy.

"K-K-Kaaai..."

"Yeonjun?" came the faint voice of the medical student in the cage next door. "I-I'm here," Kai added and blinked, trying to adjust to his current state, but his head throbbed just as loudly and his vision was completely blurred. Then he called for Intak as well, but got no answer from the young man.

"Where did they take Intak?", Yeonjun voiced his thoughts aloud and looked around again. He could merely make out some logs, a few buckets, and ropes. Nothing Yeonjun could do anything with. He was glad to hear Kai's voice, but it worried him that the third in the group wasn't here. "He was hurt - do you think they took him to a doctor?"

The jumbled thoughts filled his head and he looked up, but could only see the still few rays of the sun struggling through the treetops.

It was already twilight.

"I don't know," Kai returned honestly, and from the shaking of the cage, you could tell the tall Hawaiian was trying to sit up. "Isn't Intak here? Where is the little boy?" the words just rumbled over the heavy tongue and as Kai slowly got used to the dim evening light, he realized that the ground was positively shining. As if they were standing on solidified water or marbled glass. Like ice, only when Kai squeezed his fingers through the bamboo sticks beneath him, the ground felt absolutely not cold.