Chapter 15

Kai had stayed with Intak for a few hours, they had talked and more or less rested together

Kai had stayed with Intak for a few hours, they had talked and more or less rested together. At least it had also been a relief for the medical student not to be outside dealing with strange people. Or with the strange surroundings. None of it Kai had really been able to digest so far, and so the inside of this hut was really precious to him. Especially in the company of a friend. In between, Winter came by to check on her patient and during that time Kai remained extremely quiet and simply observed the young woman. Since she was serious about what she was doing and doing it well, he did feel a little bit of a guilty conscience for being so suspicious of her.

At some point, however, Kai left the hut because Intak had fallen asleep and he felt uncomfortable watching his injured buddy sleep. So Kai went back outside to the door and encountered the late afternoon sun.

It felt pleasantly warm on his skin and he longed for that warmth.

There was not much going on in the camp itself, everyone seemed to be going about their daily tasks. Except for the children, whose laughter could be heard from afar.

They were probably playing tag again, which Kai had seen when he and Yeonjun were still sitting in the cages and had to realize where they were. Looking left and right, however, he couldn't make out either of the boys, so he wandered along the trail. Thoughts swirled jumbled through Kai's head and sometimes they digressed to the tree they had seen the night before. He just couldn't forget those magnificent colors and the atmosphere and so his legs carried him to the campfire. For from there he could better orient himself and remember where Jennie had led them along and followed the path there.

Finally Kai stood in front of the big weeping willow.

Some branches let their leaves hang right in front of his nose and he could get a good look at the purple glow on them.

Intrigued, Kai lifted his hand, took the leaf between his fingers and gently rubbed it, but the color just wouldn't come off. So it had to be real, and that impressed the young medical student even more. Because Kai had always been the kind of person who had to see something to believe in it. He didn't waste time on gods or spirits.

He let his gaze wander further to the field of flowers beyond.

Yesterday, Kai had overheard Yeonjun going to the flowers, but he himself had not been particularly interested. The family connections had been much more interesting, and it was only after Jennie had gone to Yeonjun that Kai had paid attention to them. Unfortunately, there hadn't been time to take a closer look at the plant, because Winter had come and sent them back to camp. So now Kai looked around, walking with slow steps toward the many colors that shone through the gentle rays of the sun. Some pollen floated through the air, looking like white glitter dust. Even when Kai reached out for the pollen, this glitter settled on his skin.

«Come closer...»

The voice was only a soft whisper.

Barely audible, but the giggle that followed sounded all the louder and Kai immediately withdrew his hand. Thought it was one of the children he had heard.