Chapter twenty two- Horseback Riding

"H-Hakuryuu! What are you doing here?!" Princess Hakuei exclaimed. Hakuryuu smiled and folded his hands, while Ashlyn bowed.

"I've come to be with you, elder sister Hakuei." Hakuryuu spoke. "This is my companion, Ashlyn." He gestured to the brunette.

"Hello. It's a pleasure to meet you, Princess Hakuei." Ashlyn smiled.

"It's good to meet you as well." Hakuei nodded and smiled back. "Well...Shall I show the two of you around, then?"

"That'd be great." Hakuryuu smiled.

Hakuryuu and Ashlyn spent roughly a few weeks to a month traveling to where Princess Hakuei was, in the Tenzan Plateau. During that time, they talked some more, Ashlyn telling Hakuryuu what she'd remembered about her mother, and him more about his own past. She still hadn't explained her special 'power', but she never felt it necessary.

Now, a few months after their arrival at the Tenzan Plateau, Hakuryuu and Ashlyn were dealing with the nearby ethnic groups. Both Ashlyn and Hakuei were a bit unsettled by Hakuryuu's methods, though.

Ashlyn jumped back as another member of a resistance faction swung at her. She teleported behind him and quickly slit his throat, then took several steps away. "This is messed up..." She searched the area for Hakuryuu and his sister.

She could see Hakuryuu finishing off the last of the survivors, and Hakuei questioning his way of dealing with everything. "Hakuryuu! Princess Hakuei!" Ashlyn ran over to meet them.

"Did you get the last of them?" Hakuryuu asked.

"Yeah..." Ashlyn nodded. She was still in her djinn equip, which she'd recently been trying to get better at. Hakuryuu was in his half-equip, while Hakuei looked between them in shock.

"Come on, then. That's all of them." Hakuryuu deactivated his djinn and began walking away.

"Ok." Ashlyn also deactivated her djinn.

"Wait, Ashlyn, I'd like to talk with you on the way back." Hakuei stopped her. "Will you ride back with me?"

"Ah, sure." Ashlyn gave the princess a weird look. What could she need to talk about? They rode on horseback, Hakuryuu much farther ahead of them, "What did you need to talk about, Princess Hakuei?"

"Why are you so loyal to my brother?" Hakuei asked. "Do you really agree with his methods?"

Ashlyn was surprised. She looked at Hakuei, who was completely serious, and a bit worried. "Well...no. I don't really agree with his methods, but..." She sighed. "I don't know."

"Is there something you're not telling me, Ashlyn?"