3

Now Henri is starting towards my, or more precisely, towards the hotel bar I'm standing next to. He greets me with a nod and walks past me where he sits down at a seat on the other side of the bar. He gestures to the bartender and orders-too quiet for me to hear. I stroll over to him and slump down in the seat next to him. I too am thirsty so I order a coke zero. When I see his drink I frown.
„Just a Water for you today, Henri? I thought you loved your Coke just as much as I do?"
When I said that, he flinched slightly as if he hadn't been expecting me to speak. He recovered quickly, but I still saw the puzzled look lingering on his face for a split second.
„Water..? Ah, yeah. Didn't feel like something sugary right now. I've already had so much today", he said but didn't meet my eyes. It sounded reasonably to me at that moment and I blamed his jumpy behavior on the excess of sugar, knowing that I too got all shaky whenever I ate too much sweets.
Henri finished his glass with one big swig and set it back down on the counter a little bit too loud.
„I'm gonna go to the loo real quick, mate", he said and slapped me one the shoulder. With that, he stood up and disappeared towards the foyer. Mate? He had never called me ‚mate' nor had he ever acted like we were anything more than colleagues. I always acted a little bit odd but today his behavior really threw me off. Before I could think or feel guilty for not trusting him, I snatched his glass from the counter and took a quick sniff and immediately jerked back - my misgivings had proven right. It was straight Vodka.

A/N:
Sorry, this chapter is a little bit short but I prefer writing and posting smaller parts rather than taking ages to write and post one chapter.
English is not my first language so if some sentences sound awkward, it's due to my lack of writing skills in English. Feel free to point out any errors!
I hope you like it! :)

-S