Chapter 25

THEO BARNES

Today has been one of the best days of my life! I practically went on a date with my crush. I mean, we ate ice cream together and it seems he's okay with being friends! Stage one of my three-part plan is complete! 1) Become friends, 2) Start dating, and 3) Get married (hopefully). I just can't get him out of my system—he's intoxicating, but in a good way: like a nicely scented air freshener. I want to hang out again.

I push that thought out of my mind and start thinking of how I can introduce the tickets to Alex now that we've officially become friends. I could very easily just casually bring them up, like my parents got them for me thinking I was a fan or something; but I doubt he would believe that. I could just be upfront about everything, but that probably won't end happily ever after. And while I know that communication is the most important thing in a healthy relationship, I also want to avoid unnecessary conflict.

The more I think, the less my ideas seem to make sense. I could hide them in his mailbox, but what if he accidentally throws them away, or gets creeped out because of their sudden appearance?

I groan. Why is this so hard?

I give up and decide the best course of action is to get Michael's advice on it. He does have the most information on the subject, and can be helpful when he wants to be.

Rather than texting him though, I call him.

Ring,

Ring,

Ring,

Click.

There's a good couple seconds of silence before I hear Michael's voice.

"Hello?"

"Yeah, hi," I respond quicker than I probably should have. "I need your input on something."

"What?"

"I said I need your input on something."

"I heard you the first time, what on?" He sounds like I just woke him up despite it being only—I check my watch—never mind, it is 11:25 pm and I most definitely woke him up.

"I realize that it is late, so I apologize, however, I did end up getting the tickets and I'm 99% certain that they think of me as a friend at the moment, so what I'm trying to say is how do I bring up that I have the tickets without giving away that I was the one from eBay that basically out bid them for it—"

"Slow down, that was a lot to process. So basically, what I'm hearing is you just need a way to bring up the tickets to her?"

"Yeah."

"That's easy, just mention you have some and then casually ask if she wants to go with you."

"But what if h—she asks why I have them or where I got them from, or what if she figures out that it was me who outbid her? Or..."

"You are overthinking this. Females are pretty simple: just flirt a little, get them what they like, and BOOM! Just like that they won't ask questions and just accept the gift."

"That sounds douchey," I can't help but tell him. I'm contemplating telling him the truth, that it's a he not a she. "How do you feel about same sex relationships?"

Silence engulfs the line and I start to think that I made a terrible mistake. "Are you saying I should break up with Natalie and be gay? I mean I know I can be bad sometimes, but not that bad..."

I'm flabbergasted for a second before freaking out. "No! I just wanted to hear your opinion, I didn't mean to say you should break up with Natalie—"

I'm cut off by an obnoxiously loud laugh. "I'm just messing with you. And to answer your question, I could care less who dates who. If anything, it's better for guys like me—it leaves us more of the women."

"Also very douchey to say, and you're dating Natalie. I hope you didn't forget that."

"Of course not man, I love Natalie, but before I was with her, I swam in the sea. Trying all the different fishies."

"I'm going to chalk this attitude up to the fact that I woke you from your sleep. Also, despite how you're acting, I have a confession to make."

"Well out with it my boy!" He says in a very grandpa-esque way.

"Okay, but promise not to think of me any differently."

"I wouldn't do that. Wait, is it what I think it is?"

"I don't know, what do you think it is?" I ask, nervous to hear his response.

"Are you gay? Cause that'd explain a lot about you in general, especially the way you dress."

"I... What's wrong with the way I dress?"

"Sometimes it just gives off twink energy."

I feel my jaw drop to the floor. While I didn't think Michael would react badly, I didn't expect this. "What does that even mean?"

"Exactly what you think it means."

"Also, you are correct. And it's a boy, which is why I'm trying to be more cautious about the whole thing." I feel as though I'm doing some gender reveal party with how I phrased it.

"You should've just told me, I would have given slightly different advice to you. Specifically about the tickets, a man's pride is usually a lot bigger than females."

"I just didn't want you to hate me."

"For being gay? Did you forget that my brother is openly bisexual?"

"You have a brother?"

"It's like you don't even know me," he fakes a sob. "Anyway, about your whole situation, I would still give the same advice, just be chill about it and don't lie. Everything always turns out worse when you lie."

"I guess that makes sense."

"Of course it makes sense, I'm the one saying it. Now that I've helped you with your little kerfuffle, I'm going back to bed. Night."

I don't even have a chance to say goodnight back before he hangs up, leaving me in complete silence. I still kind of want to lie about the whole thing, but since I woke Michael up just for his advice, it's probably best I take it. Already going through the theoretical conversation I'll be having with Alex, I get ready for bed and lay down, eyes wide awake and body tired as hell.

Eventually, I fall asleep, wishing I knew how tomorrow will play out.