Chapter 38 - Safety

Chapter 38 - Safety

On Dragonstone, things were becoming rather crowded.

It was a formidable castle, built two centuries before the Doom of Valyria, set high into the cliffs of Dragonstone Island. Using the arcane arts of Old Valyria its maker curved the roofs into talons and decorated it with a spectacular number of ornamental dragon statues. Not only the castle itself but there was an abundance of caves for the wild and unclaimed dragons to nest in throughout the cliffs. The smell of sea salt and brimstone permeated everything, even the small fishing village below Dragonstone.

Despite this, Aemond and Amyra were given separate rooms.

"I don't understand, why are the three of us sharing one room while Prince Aemond gets his own?" Elrie complained, whispering entirely too loudly into Sesa's ear.

As they followed their guide through the drafty halls, Sesa rolled her eyes at the girl, "Because 'Myra is a Lady now, and unmarried ladies can't be alone with men, lest they're ruined."

"Ruined? But what about the man you're...you know, with? Or is that more of a secret?" Elrie postulated, and in front of them, Aemond pursed his lips, while Amyra could barely contain her laughter. Their guide made no attempt to hide his raised brow, glancing intermittently at the strange party with disdain.

Sesa sighed, "There's no such thing, girl. You're either strangers or you are married, and anyway now 'Myra would have to ask her brother for permission to marry the Prince, and probably the Queen too-"

"What? Wait-"

The servant stopped abruptly, "And here is your room, Lady Stark," he said demurely, bowing as he allowed the door to swing open, "Prince Aemond, I'll be happy to show you to your room-"

"You might fetch us something to eat that's not dry bread or hard cheese," Aemond cut him off, striding into the room without even a glance at the servant's wide-eyed expression.

Morrigan followed, snorting in mild appreciation before Sesa and Elrie too entered. Amyra gave the man a winning smile, which of late appeared more as a barring of teeth, "And, if you would be ever so kind, a large quantity of raw meat- preferably elk if you have it. Oh! And several baths to be drawn as well,"

"Of-of course," the servant stammered, glancing into the room as Morrigan tried in vain to fit in a chair near the fire, only to topple over onto Aemond's foot.

"Fuck! By the seven, how much do you weigh?" Aemond cursed while Sesa laughed openly, and Morrigan snapped as if to say fuck off.

"Thank you!" Amyra called, before shutting and locking the door. Her hand lingered on the lock, the muscles in her shoulders bunching uncomfortably, and Sesa's laughs wavering as if through water.

"Are you alright?" Aemond whispered, coming to stand with some distance between them, not moving to touch her. While Elrie marveled at the finery of the modest sitting room, and Sesa laid a blanket for Morrigan to lay on, Aemond gazed at her with concern, his hands clenching and unclenching at his side.

Amyra reached for his hand, glad for the warmth of his skin against her palm, "Considering the past few hours were spent surrounded by heavily armed dragon riders whose brother and son I've just used as ransom, I am simply glad we're not all rotting in a dungeon."

"'Tis not less than he deserves," Aemond shrugged, drawing his other hand through Amyra's curls, then down her jaw to grasp her chin, "You are unharmed?" he frowned.

"Of course, though I barely survived without my swordswoman," Amyra smirked, turning to Sesa, whose hands stilled over the pack she was rifling through.