Chapter 48 - Providence

"The Green army has reached the plateau between the God's Eye, and King's Landing. My scouts report they've stopped marching at Sow's Horn, no doubt to use Dukensdale to provision their men," Prince Daemon asserted, leaning his scarred palms into the map table, staring daggers at the sparse stretch of land to the west.

At his side, in newly made armor stood Jacaerys, looking taller, with a grim set to his mouth to match his mother's, "The combined forces of the North and the Riverlands have met at Harranhal, to be shortly met with the men of the Vale. They wait for orders to march."

"You do not expect a march on Harranhal by Ormund?" Rhaenyra asked, looking thoughtfully at the silver, pale green, and blue figurines that surrounded House Strong's former seat.

"They have no need to," Daemon answered, "They've taken the coast from King's Landing to Rook's Rest. They've proven themselves formidable and now play the defensive. It is our turn to prove ourselves," he raises his silver head, the challenge in his eyes clear as he takes his time meeting every soldier's gaze, lingering where Aemond and Amyra stood, "The winner of this battle will determine the siege on King's Landing. Should we lose at Sow's Horn, the road to The Keep will be nearly impossible, without burning the city to the ground in the process,"

His words are met by a grim silence, yet his signature, arrogant sneer cuts up his face, "But, should we prove victorious, I have no doubt that the King's Road will carry us to the Usurper's door, where we will lay siege until he and his bitch mother surrender, or burn in Dragonfire!"

Amyra felt Aemond stiffen such that his hands shook where they lay clenched behind his back. His jaw clenched, skin flushed in anger Aemond looked ready to peel his lips back and snarl at Daemon's words. Despite her treatment of him, despite his oaths, she was his mother. He might let his city burn, but Amyra knew he would not allow Alicent Hightower to be forsaken.

Across from Daemon, Queen Rhaenyra did not partake in the cheering that resulted from the crude words. Amyra leaned closer to Aemond's rigid side, leaning up to whisper, "Rhaenyra loved your mother once. Daemon's words are folly, she will not go back on our deal."

Aemond did not remove his eyes from Daemon, "In the passion of battle, any number of deals may be broken. War justifies all, as Maegor the Cruel once said."

At their feet, seated to look upon the table, Morrigan huffed lowly.

"Are we evenly matched?" Rhaenyra asked, cutting through the shouting of men.

The room quieted once more, "In manpower we are equal. Dragons, we have the advantage." Daemon smirked and began to tell them the intricacies of their battle strategy.

With Sunfyre grounded, and Helaena with child, the only dragon the Greens could now boast of was Tessarion, Daeron's dragon. Now the Protector of the Realm in Aegon's stead, it was unclear if Daeron would show his face, or stay atop the Iron Throne.

After their call for Dragonseeds, a similar call came from the Greens, offering more money, prettier sounding titles, and the like if they could appear with a dragon and proclaim their loyalty to Aegon. Folly, Daemon declared, as Dragonstone was the place where the majority of dragons resided, and their borders were heavily guarded. For their own Dragonseeds, Nettles and Addam, they needed far more training before Rhaenyra would allow them in battle. Corlys kept Addam close, for obvious reasons, while Nettles kept to herself. Naturally, Daemon put himself forward to train the girl. Amyra repressed a glower.

He certainly has a type.

Rhaenyra put forth the idea of going into battle atop Syrax, but this was quickly counseled against. Aegon had done so, and look where it got him, they argued, the Green position had never been so weak. Rhaenyra accepted this counsel, and it was decided she stay at Dragonstone, along with Lucerys, Corlys, Addam, and Nettles. Daemon and Jacaerys would fly into battle atop Caraxes and Vermax, respectively.