Getting Adjusted

I have been working for Mr.Mathers for a week now, and I still find myself waking up in the mornings not believing a thing. The first three days Mr.Mathers gave me light work of filing stuff away shredding and stuff like that to assess my skill set for an office job and being honest its pretty straight forward.

He showed me around the workplace personally and showed me my very own private office, which is adjoined to his.

During the lunches I would stay in my office and read blogs or watch videos on youtube during my break, but today I am having lunch with Adrian.

Turns out after college he dumped the whole surgeon idea and took over his dads business and well now he's a big shot in the business world.

Before I knew it was 12.30pm, and I was walking out of the building and catching a cab to Starbucks where I was meeting Adrian.

I haven't heard from Adrian text wise so he must still be on his way, meaning I was a little early. I decided to order my Chai latte and a chocolate muffin and waited for him in a nearby booth.

Only five minutes later, had he arrived looking as dashing as ever in his armani tight fitted suit. I have to get used to him dressing like this now oppossed to his baggy jeans and snap back fascination back in university.

"Hi sorry I'm late I lost track of time" He apologised looking almost pained that I had to wait for him.

"I only just ordered my stuff now it's no worry" I assured him.

"Good. Well where to start... I mean wow you haven't changed a bit I see" He smiled at me.

"You keep saying that as if you expected me to have gained fifty pounds after giving birth to my fourth kid" I joked around.

He chuckled deeply. "It's just nice that things feel like the old times" His eyes danced with delight.

"From what I heard you are a big deal now" I said as I sipped my latte.

"Yeah, long story short I took over dad's business after he died two years ago. He always said he wanted it to be passed down the generations so I made his last wish come true I suppose" The shine in his eye dimmed a little.

"I'm so sorry Adrian I didn't know. He would be extremely proud I mean look at you, only 27 and running a very successful company, that's great."

It felt like we were sitting there forever just catching up and chatting, but in reality it was only an hour meaning it was time to make my way back to the office. Adrian and I exchanged numbers, hugged and parted ways. After finally catching a cab in the rush hour the time I got back to the office was 2pm and I was dreading Mr.Mathers reaction to my lateness.

The moment I sat down in my desk chair, the intercom rang and Mr.Mathers requested I come to his office.

SHIT! This is when I walk into his office and he skins me alive.

I knocked on his wooden door and waited for his usual reply of "come in".

Here goes nothing.

"You asked-"

"Sit down" He sternly demanded.

Oh Oh this is his asshole side about to come to life.

"Why were you late?" He asked calmy which sent chills down my spine.

"I was having lunch with Adrian and I lost track of time and getting a cab was impossible in-"