6 // i'm scared

Octavia looked at the two, shock and desperation flowing through her veins. Her worry was pouring out of her pores on her beautiful face, "You're both gonna have to help me save them."

"I can't. I tried," Lincoln said backing up slightly. "My people think that we are traitors now."

"Because of the bridge?" Octavia looked between the two. "You were just trying to make peace."

"It's not the bridge," Lux told her gently. She laid a comforting hand on Octavia's arm.

Octavia looked at Lincoln. Pain encased her young heart; she was going to be the reason they died. "Because of me?"

Lincoln and Octavia shared a long look. One that Octavia took that yes, she was the reason they were traitors. An almost silent breath escaped her lips. "Oh."

Trying to reassure her, Lincoln bended over, "That doesn't matter now. I'm leaving, Octavia, right now. I want you to come with me."

"Lux, you aren't going?" Octavia asked her. She was torn, not quite sure what she wanted to do.

The girl took a breath and looked at Octavia, "I am."

Taking in a sharp breath, Octavia looked back at Lincoln, "Where would we go?"

"East," Lux told her. She started to step back to her small, makeshift bed. "To the sea, then across it."

"There's a clan, allies of the Woods. They'll take us," Lincoln spoke low, trying to convince his girl.

"I can't just let my brother get killed," Octavia said. She shook her head, not knowing which man was more important to her.

"There is nothing you can do to stop that now," Lincoln insisted as he stepped closer.

The girl nodded her head, "I can warn them."

"Octavia, they'll kill you. If you are there at dawn-"

She looked up, her strong spirit shining in her blue eyes. "I won't be. Just wait for me here. I'm coming with you."

Lincoln surged forward, grabbing onto Octavia, "Wait."

Lux turned her head away as she watched the couple kiss. She had doubts that Octavia would come. Lux knew, given the choice, she would never leave Lincoln.

Her brother turned to her, his doubts shining through as well. "You will leave? Even if you never got your chance with him?"

Lux looked wryly at her brother, "As long as we keep her safe, I'll be fine."

xxx

Lux told Lincoln she was going to go to the river and bathe. He had nodded at her suspicious, but she left before he could say anything.