001

THE 1
Sydney's Point of View

Women raise their voices when they aren't being listened to. Men raise their voices when they aren't being obeyed. I guess that's why we were always yelling at each other. And I guess that's why I left.

We had been dating since I was 18, so two years. It was actually our two year anniversary that I broke up with him. A few weeks before, I found out he's been cheating on me with my best friend, Sam. So, I lost my best friend and boyfriend all in one day. I mentally broke up with him then.

On our anniversary, he started yelling at me about how I chose to wear the wrong dress to dinner. I was yelling because I could wear whatever I wanted.

He kept yelling about the dress and how he didn't want me to wear it, and I kept yelling because he wasn't listening to what I wanted. See what I mean now?

Anyway, he hasn't left me alone since we broke up, which was six months ago. I even blocked his number. He's been showing up to my apartment and begging for me to take him back, sending me letters asking for forgiveness, saying how it was a mistake. But I haven't caved.

Like the wise Taylor Swift once said: may your heart remain breakable, but never by the same hand twice.

"Syd, he's out of control." My brother, Dawson states. I told him about how Josh showed up at my house last night.

"I know, D. It's just- I know he won't leave me alone because he knows I'm single." I say.

"Then get a boyfriend." Dawson suggests like it's the easiest thing in the world.

"Oh yeah! I'll get right on that for you." I say sarcasm laced in my voice.

"No, I'm saying fake date someone so he leaves you alone." Dawson suggests. It doesn't sound like a bad idea.

"Who would actually do that?" I ask.

"I'll find someone for you." Dawson says.

"I'm not gonna ask you to do that." I say.

"Well, I'm doing it. I'll text you, okay?" Dawson says.

"Thanks for the ride." The Devils had practice, and I tagged along with Dawson to go watch like I always do.

"No problem," Dawson says unlocking the car door. "Love you!"

"Love you too, Daws." I shut the car door and grab my keys out of my purse.

While I'm fishing for my keys, I get a call from an unknown number. Once I get inside, I answer it.

"Hello?" I have no idea who's calling me right now.

"Sydney?" It's Josh. I blocked his number, so I don't know how he's calling me.

"What do you want, Josh?" I say.

"Please take me back, I know you haven't moved on yet and-and I miss you, b-baby. I miss us. W-we were so good together. I k-know we would fight a lot a-and stuff but all relationships have up and downs."

"I said i'm not getting back together with you, Josh. Give it up." I say.

"It's your loss." And just like that, he flips the switch. That's something he's really good at, gaslighting and manipulating. He plays the victim, and when it doesn't work, he becomes hostile.

"No, it's not actually. It's yours." I say. I'm fed up with him walking all over me, I let him do it for 2 years.

"Oh really?" He says.

"You are the one whose hung up one me. You are the one who keeps calling me and begging for me to take you back. You are the one who messed up our relationship. I feel so much lighter with you out my life. And after this, we'll never talk. So, I." I take a pause. "I'm so sorry for you loss."