004

MINE?
Sydney's Point of View

Dawson showed up at my house bright and early to deliver me a jersey. A Jack Hughes jersey. I didn't want to wear it, I had already picked out my outfit the night before, but he literally forced me.

I chose to wear a black hoodie underneath and some black flare leggings. Sometimes I switch it up, but that's mainly what I wear to games.

"I'll check up on it on my phone, Mitch." I say. Mitch Marner, a player on the Maple Leafs is currently talking my ear off because I'm not at his game.

"Steph really wants you there." He says.

"I'm literally on my way to the Devs game right now, I can't go. I'll go to one later in the season, okay?" I say.

"Fine." He says rolling his eyes. He acts like such a drama queen sometimes. "Drive safe, have fun."

"Bye, Mitch." He hangs up the phone. I'm about 20 minutes away from the arena.

I turn my playlist up, and listen to that the rest of the way to the arena. Dawson also have me a family pass when he came to my house this morning.

I park in the family section and go through security. I'm row three, and center ice. I've sat all around the arena, but I think center ice is my favorite.

I watch warmups and the introduction, it's all muscle memory for me since I've seen it so many times.

I watch the players skate out, cheering for each one of them like I always do. Before the National Anthem, Jack's eyes find me.

He points to his jersey, then to me. He mouths something, "Mine?"

I nod, then point to Dawson. He follows my finger, and my eyes, then looks back at me. He chuckles a little, then mouths, "It looks good on you."

Maybe I didn't read his lips right.

He can tell I don't think I understood him right because he does this. He points at me, slowly enunciating the word 'you'. Then he puts his hand right above his eyebrow and looks around, mouthing the word 'look'. Then he puts his thumbs up.

"Got it?" He mouths. I just nod back. Thankfully, he's not close enough to notice the red tint to my cheeks right now.

The score just got tied 1-1. The devils had a 1-0 lead, but someone on AZ got a goal. Jack wins the puck drop, and pushes the puck back.

The Coyotes get a takeaway in their own zone, but it's quickly taken back by Jack. He skates down the ice alone.

Tatar and Severson join him. They pass it back and forth before Jack shoots it in the net and scores.

The horn goes off and everyone jumps up from their seat and cheers, me not being an exception. I high-five the random strangers around me and sit back down.

The rest of the game goes well, the Devils winning 4-2. Using the advantage of the family pass, I go to the tunnel to congratulate Dawson... or what I thought I was going to do.

"Yeah, he was- oh hey, Syd." I get a small hair ruffle from Nico.

"Good game, but you need to control your temper better, you're gonna get fined one of these days." I say.

"You know me better than that, Syd. The fights are what make it interesting."

"Can't deny that." I say putting my arms up in defense. "Just keep all of your teeth."

"Speaking of losing teeth, Dawson left already." He says.

"Oh, he was out of here fast then." I say.

"Yeah, I don't know why." He says. "Your boyfriend is still in there, though."

"My boyf-"

"Dawson told everyone about you and Jack fake dating, we could've just beat him up and he would've left you alone, but.." He says.

Speaking of the devil, "Ope, that's my cue. See ya lovebirds!" Saying speaking of the devil is really funny especially because Jack is on the Devils.

"Nice game, that was a really good goal." I say.

"Thanks." He says.

"Do you have any plans for the rest of the night?" I ask.

"No, you?"

"Yep, me and my bed have a date." I say.

"So you're cheating on me? I'm crushed." I know he didn't mean anything by it, but I was cheated on.

"Oh- I- I shouldn't have said that. I'm sorry." He says.

"It's fine." I say.

We keep casual conversation on the way out of the arena, but once we get outside, we're interrupted.

"Baby?"

"Is that-"

"Yep."

"Sydney, baby. What are you doing? Why are you with him." John walks closer to us.

I can't let him get under my skin. Not in the sense I still have feelings for him, but sometimes he scares me.

Jack grabs my hand. "You're supposed to me with me, baby. Remember how happy we were together?"

"We weren't happy together, and that's your fault. So stay out of my life." He gets closer and brings his hand up to my face. In a quick motion, Jack's hand is free of mine and John gets pushed back.

Jack grabs a fistful of John's shirt, then says something I can't hear. He lets John go and he leaves.

"Are you okay?" He asks. "He didn't touch you, did he?"

"No, I'm okay. Just a little rattled." I say. "Thank you, Jack."

"Don't worry about it." He says. "Are you okay to drive home?"

"Yeah, I'm good." I say with a slight nod. "Goodnight, Jack."

"Night, Syd. Oh, let me know how that date goes with your bed." He says.

"I will."

I walk the short distance to my car and start it. I'm so tired from the game and will definitely crash after I force myself to take a shower.

Once I get home, I get in the shower. I don't wash my hair, though. My mind goes to what happened at the arena with John. Then I think about the rest of our relationship. Not in a reminiscent sort of way, but I realize all the signs I missed.

I hate how naive I was. He was my first boyfriend, and for some insane reason, I thought he was going to be my last. My parents were one and done, and that's what I thought would happen for me too.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

i watched the ducks game last night... spoiler alert, the ducks lost. who would've guessed!

i'm probably gonna watch the maple leaves game tn and speaking of the maple leafs, im working on a mitch marner wattpad rn, after this wattpad goes up, i'll publish that one