Chapter 6

The Mehta house was experiencing a state of gloomy sorrow after departing their beloved son to the place where they thought he belonged at that moment. It was tough for them to live in his absence but at the same time they believed it was the need of the hour. They were just hoping and praying that the treatment he would be receiving there would bear fruit.

This was the second time the atmosphere of the house had turned so grief stricken; the first time being Sam's father's death. It was a huge loss to all of them and they had taken months together to get over his loss. Shehzad had been a pillar to the rest of the family members in such a crisis. Without him around, Shikha and Sam would have lost all hope.

Sam's absence was no less than a loss to them. The family had never foreseen such a situation and were not prepared to deal with the catastrophe they thought was irremediable.

Sam's mother was the most affected one. Her one and only child had to be drifted apart. Most of her day was spent in isolation. Her eyes had turned puffy due to endless crying. And when she opened her mouth to speak, she would only curse the non-existent friend of her son, who was wholly responsible for his condition. Her health was gradually deteriorating. She had lost all the appetite for food and often skipped her meals. Mona had a hard time convincing her to eat. She had lost all the charm on her face.

Shehzad's role was crucial in such a situation. He was once again being a backbone to his family. This man had a way with words!

One day Isha showed up all of a sudden.

'Isha, beta how are you doing?' Shehzad gave her a side hug.

'I'm doing just fine, uncle,' she replied smiling.

'It's so nice to see you drop by here today!' her uncle exclaimed.

'Yeah, I left the hospital early today so thought of seeing you all,' she explained.

'Mona...look who's home today,' Shehzad cheerfully called his wife.

Mona made her way to the living room, with her daughter, Myra, in tow.

'That's such a pleasant surprise, beta! Actually, Myra remembered you all yesterday. She was insisting me to take her to your home so that she could play with Ira. You know she gets so bored these days as her big brothe...,' she was about to complete her sentence when she was cut off by her husband. 'You know there are no kids here and that's the reason she gets bored. She has just one week left for her school to reopen and then she will be all fine,' he informed his niece, throwing at his wife, a contemptuous glance.

She gave him a regretting glance in return.

Isha, who was observing their eye movements, couldn't comprehend what was happening between the two.

Not able to see her other aunt around, she asked about her.

Mona looked at her husband before answering, 'Um...actually, bhabhi has got a headache and so she is resting in her room.'

'Oh, let her rest,' Isha told concernedly.

'Where is Sam these days, by the way? How is he doing now? I tried dialling him so many times, but his phone seems to be switched off,' she huffed in annoyance.

'He, um, he has gone out for some work,' Shehzad lied.

'Oh, I will wait until he returns,' she told them.

'No, no, he is out of the city, actually,' he lied again.

'Again? Does he even take rest?' she wondered.

'Well, you can yourself ask him when he returns,' her uncle responded.

'Alright, I must get going now. Myra, do you wanna come with me?' she asked her little sis.