9: kintsugi

4 SEPTEMBER 2027 - R-KIVE RECORDS, LOS ANGELES (the present)

Jungkook remembered when R-KIVE Records had been located in an old warehouse. The space was fitted for recording with the best equipment you could buy on a budget - but that was the appeal of it too. When they were signing, Namjoon had told them the new building was in construction. R-KIVE had already signed Jennie and Arabella, both of whom were bringing in money; Arabella a little more since she was the full-package popstar with the stunning beauty, amazing voice, dancing ability, and was a musician behind it all too. She appealed to the public, and really launched R-KIVE as a legitimate label.

He preferred the old building to this indoor garden made of ramps and windows. The grungy feel was more natural to him. The polished finishes always put Jungkook on edge. Everything that was too perfect was never good, in his experience. Outward perfection obscured the rot beneath it.

R-KIVE Records looked perfect and polished. It was built to mirror the orbital path of Pluto; oval, with a ramp and staircase spiraling up and down the six floors of the building, as the main way people got about. Namjoon wanted it to be a workplace which promoted healthy bodies and minds. The interior center of the spiral was filled with gardens that were attached to the walls, hung from beams, or wires descending from the roof. It smelled like nature; trees, earth, water. It was usually refreshing, but Jungkook felt overwhelmed by it as they walked to the Forum - the community space on the second floor, where they held large scale company meetings.

Jungkook wasn't sure why they had to be there. No one had really told him what it was about. He didn't care either. He was still feeling out of it; tired, a constant dull headache, difficulty focusing. Yoongi had tapped his arm on the plane on the way back and asked Jungkook if he was okay, which he was. He was fine. Apparently he'd been staring out the window, not moving, apparently not conscious of much at all for almost an hour. He should've been more concerned with losing time like that, but honestly, it was kind of nice to realize he could just disappear like that. Not have to think or feel anything for a while.

He kept his gaze lowered, walking close to Yoongi and Felix, Asha on Felix's other side, and Cara following behind them with the other assistants. He could feel eyes on him, on the band. He didn't have the energy to try to interact with anyone, and he didn't want to be here, in public, in front of people who he fucking knew all believed he was the cause of all the Converse High problems, because what else could be true?