2: ghosting

✰✰ FIVE YEARS LATER ✰✰

7 JUNE, 2027 - STADE DE FRANCE

Jungkook was life itself. There was no other way Taehyung could describe him. He held the entire world in the palm of his hand from the moment the concert began.

The stage had been completely black, no sign of when or where Converse High would be. Then - his voice. It cut through the darkness of the stadium, no instrumentals, only his voice. It silenced the chattering crowd, just one line of their song, and then it stopped.

There was silence, a pause. The crowd waited with bated breath, some screaming began, and then the eruption of sound and the blasting of the lights, and there he was. Frontman of one of the biggest bands in the world, head lowered, microphone in hand with the stand leaning to the side, just waiting. The stage plunged into darkness again for just a second, and then a kaleidoscope of colour and light shot out into the crowd, Jungkook's head rose, Asha started them off on the drums, and life began again.

It had been almost eight years since Taehyung had seen Jungkook perform live, and the difference between then and now was palpable. The confidence, the command, the way he played with and teased the crowd. He owned every person's soul stadium because he believed he did. He held them all in the palm of his hand and demanded they pay him attention. They listened, loved, and believed in him. Every member in the audience would live to the fullest extent they could all night because he told them to. He was born for the stage, born to shine.

From the first note of the first song, Taehyung had tears in his eyes. By the time the last note rang out, he was holding back so much emotion he felt close to bursting. Jimin had been holding his hand for close to an hour. They didn't speak, or dance, or scream, or sing like the others in the stadium, even though the music was vibrating his body inside-out. He couldn't. But it wasn't anger or hurt that kept him seated.

It was pride. He was so unbelievably, indescribably, proud of Jungkook.

He squeezed Jimin's hand as when the lights came on after Converse High left the stage for the last time. They stayed where they were, leaning back against the concrete wall on the ground floor. It was the closest Taehyung had been to Jungkook in six years. He could even see the sweat glistening on his skin in the lights. So close, and still so far, but the distance wasn't cold and empty this time.