15. 𝔖𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔫 𝔑𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔰

15. 𝕾𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕹𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙𝖘
ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔉𝔦𝔣𝔱𝔢𝔢𝔫 | 𝔗𝔢𝔞𝔯𝔰 𝔬𝔣 𝔅𝔯𝔬𝔫𝔷𝔢
𝔅𝔬𝔬𝔨 𝔒𝔫𝔢 𝔦𝔫 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔚𝔦𝔩𝔡 𝔚𝔬𝔪𝔢𝔫 𝔖𝔢𝔯𝔦𝔢𝔰

 𝕾𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕹𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙𝖘 ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔉𝔦𝔣𝔱𝔢𝔢𝔫 | 𝔗𝔢𝔞𝔯𝔰 𝔬𝔣 𝔅𝔯𝔬𝔫𝔷𝔢 𝔅𝔬𝔬𝔨 𝔒𝔫𝔢 𝔦𝔫 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔚𝔦𝔩𝔡 𝔚𝔬𝔪𝔢𝔫 𝔖𝔢𝔯𝔦𝔢𝔰

ARRIVING at her new home was not perhaps as climactic as Donella had expected. There was no fanfare, nor was there an abundance of her future in-laws waiting to meet her. The few staff which Lord Buckwell had on his service were gathered politely at the rusted gates. The horse drawing the carriage was pulled to a stop in a small, cobbled yard, and on the left of them was her new home. A stone structure which she was sure was supposed to resemble a castle, but merely mimicked one instead. Around the perimeter, a wall stood. Compared to the walls around King's Landing, this wall was a sorry excuse for fortification, but to Donella, this was the barrier between her and her freedom.

"My Lady Donella, shall we meet the staff together?" Lord Buckwell asked. She didn't notice him leave the carriage, but now he stood expectantly with his hand outstretched towards her from the ground. Donella simply gave the man a dutiful smile as she placed her bare hand in his and climbed down onto the cobbles.

"Lord Buckwell, Lady Royce," The servants greeted with bows of their heads. Donella noted how slim they all were, and how full the servants in King's Landing seemed now. These maids and serving boys were almost skin and bone. For a Lord with such a seat as the Antlers, she had thought that the place would be just a little grander.

The ring on her finger almost felt as if it was burning as she greeted each member of her new staff with a smile and a handshake. She did not offer her hand for any of them to bow before, but instead took their hands in her own as she shook them in thanks for their greeting. She would be Lady Royce no longer, soon. Lady Buckwell was her future, and it was time that she began to act like it.

Lord Buckwell stood back and watched his wife act the part of grace and beauty, before retaking her arm and leading her into the house,

"You treat the servants well, Lady Donella. I'm sure that they will treat you kindly in return,"

"I sincerely hope so, Lord Joffrey," she spoke, glancing back at a few of the maids who gossiped amongst themselves, "They seem kind."

Joffrey - she had to get used to referring to him by his first name - smiled, shuffling his feet a little as he led his betrothed up the stairs of the house, "I'm sure that they are. If truth be told, I have not spent much time in my lands as I should have... Perhaps we can go riding one day soon? I should like you to know the area you are to live."

Donella nodded, a smile gracing her own lips as he waited for her answer, "I should like that very much."

Relief flooded his face for a mere moment, and Donella noted how Joffrey was so unlike Aemond. Joffrey was unsure and nervous around his soon-to-be wife. He seemed to seek her approval and wait for her certainty before proceeding. Aemond knew what he liked, and it just so happened that Donella fit into his category. He was brash and confident but kept his feelings for her confined within himself. She would miss him dearly, and though she was sure that it would take some time to get over the Prince - to stop loving the Prince - it wouldn't take forever. He did not bid her farewell. He did not care for her in the same way that she so evidently couldn't help but care for him. Perhaps her heart would realise that truth soon as well.

"I do hope that you find your rooms agreeable, at least until you move into mine after we are wed," Joffrey spoke as he led Donella to a door at the end of a long corridor. He opened it, bowing slightly as Donella stepped within. It was larger than her room back at King's Landing, and much more furnished. She had everything she needed within these walls and a beautiful view which looked out over untamed fields as far as the eye could see.

She did not realise that she'd gasped and taken a step towards the open frames, but she caught how Joffrey smiled at her glee and couldn't help the slight flush which overtook her cheeks.

As she turned to him, his smile seemed to break free of the confines of his face, "It's beautiful, isn't it?"

"Truly," She glanced back towards the view, "Thank you, Lord Joffrey, for your kindness towards me. I... I did not expect such hospitality from the man who was chosen for me to wed."

Joffrey nodded as though he was aware of the circumstances. She wondered if she knew of the rumours, and if he had agreed despite them,

"Yes, well... Ever since I laid eyes on you in the gardens of King's Landing, I was drawn to your beauty. I overheard a conversation between Princess Helaena and the Queen about finding you a match and I knew that I had to put myself forward. I wish to honour you, my Lady. From this day forwards, these lands are as much yours as they are mine. In time, after our wedding I am sure, I hope that we grow to love one another as well."

Donella's traitorous heart both bloomed and sunk at his words. She had dreamt of hearing words so pure, but the voice speaking was not the one she had dreamt of.

She swallowed the building lump in her throat before she dared speak, "When is the wedding scheduled?"

"Seven nights from now," Joffrey leant on the doorframe, not once entering Donella's space, "I hope that you do not mind, but I have taken the liberty of inviting your family. I thought that you would want them there."

Donella nodded, squinting her eyes slightly as her eyebrow furrowed, "Which family is that?"

"Your brother - Lord Royce, as well as his wife, son and two daughters,"

"I have nieces and a nephew?"

"You did not know?"

She shook her head, feeling an ounce of shame overtake her, "I did not keep in contact with my brother after he left me - after he took me to King's Landing. He has not written to me, nor I to him,"

"Perhaps I shouldn't have invited him, I am sorry that I didn't-"

"No, Joffrey, please do not apologise. I am thankful. Perhaps this is what we needed to mend our broken relationship."

She reached out and pulled Joffrey into an embrace. It was not romantic, and his hands wrapped themselves loosely around her shoulders, but it was a start. It was the most contact that the pair had shared.

Joffrey excused himself shortly after showing Donella to her room, leaving her to settle in. Settling was the last thing on Donella's mind however, and the future bride found herself in a field of flowers with two of the maids for the rest of the evening, staring at the skies and wondering if her Prince missed her at all.