11 - There would never be enough of him

Those stairs felt like they would never end and would actually lead you to Hell as you took each step further downstairs. Each of them felt like a knife in your gut and the only thing preventing you from turning back on your heels was the comforting feeling of Nanami's hand in yours, his rough skin against yours a reminder of his presence behind you.

Why unease was threatening to swell in your chest at this point ? You were not in danger according to him and you knew damn well how to defend yourself – but for an unknown reason, tonight felt somehow ominous and unpredictable. And you liked to control things, had always reveled in that feeling. Naomi liked to call you a control freak and you sure had no way of contradicting her.

Nanami pressed his thumb in the palm of your hand and you shot him a sideway glance, realizing you had reached the bottom of the stairs. You stepped in the room, not quite sure what you were actually looking at.

The room was filled with people, humans but also yokais with ears or with their whole actual appearance and you found yourself staring at a yokai with fur on their whole body and a cat head, only wearing a piece of clothes that you thought was meant to be worn under.

Several footstools were placed all over the room where human and yokai waiters walked with colorful drinks on golden trays, swaying their hips as they bent over to hand clients their beverage or add pieces of charcoal at the top of some sort of waterpipes, made of a bowl at the top and a stem leading down to a water chamber at the bottom.

You watched curiously, as you pretended to wait for someone to lead you to a seat, and realized people were actually inhaling smoke from the device.

"We can't stand that way for too long." Nanami whispered next to you and you nodded, deciding to lead him on the right side of a small scene where a microphone stand and a chair had been left.

You took a steadying breath, reminding yourself that this was just pretending and you needed to appear as if this was a familiar place to you.

Clearing your throat, you called a waitress all dressed in black and stared in confusion when you noticed that some of the color were actual full tattoos covering her red skin. She stared at you with obsidian eyes and you pointed to the table next to yours, ordering the same.

"I could almost think you have actually been here before." Nanami said behind you, his voice barely audible above the loud music.

Your eyes scanning the room, you shrugged. "You said to pretend, I'm doing just that."

"Well, you might want to make it even better very soon." He added as you met his eyes. "People are staring."

A nervous flutter beat in your chest as you noticed some stares around you, despite the heavy smoke filling the room, you could see some prying eyes focusing on you and you pretended to be waiting for your order.

One thing was for sure, this place was not just some kind of usual bar. A sour chill ran down your spine as your eyes lingered on a man with two yokais at his side on a purple velvet couch. Both the women, since they appeared to be from the plum cleavage they sported, were outrageously leaning on him, their fingers brushing all over his body. Your brows inched up your forehead when one of them opened her mouth and a slim forked tongue slithered along the man's jaw and you whirled on your feet, closing the distance between Nanami and you.

Already sitting, he gave you a sharp glance and you bit down on your bottom lip, unable to comprehend how anyone could ignore what he was. His body screamed danger—from the way the muscles on his arms flexed when he raised his arm to take a glass on the coffee table, to his piercing eyes assessing every movement in the room.