10 - Black Eyes

Today, I made up my mind. I was going to call him but wait o, that would make me seem desperate. I am just going to forget about him and probably throw the business card he gave me.

Ode, why do you want to call him with a business line? No personah number?

Okay, but I could try too... abi? It would be unfair I left him hanging. I dialed the number inscribed at the back of the card and clicked on the call icon which appeared on my phone screen. 

Okay... calm down.

"Kamal Madaki, who am I speaking with?" There, his deep voice sprang out immediately and I couldn't help but panic. I shut my eyes tightly and quickly, cussing myself from a making a decision to call him. "Hello?"

His voice brought me back, I cleared my throat nervously before speaking. "Hi, it's uhm... Yeside..."

He stayed silent for a while and I did too, this was clearly a stupid decision. Why did I even bother to call him sef? What was I thinking ehn?

"Wait, it's you. Wow... I didn't think you would call, I thought you forgot me," he said with excitement laced in his voice.

"I didn't think I would call you too," a slow smile appeared on my lips.

He chuckled lowly. "Don't let shakara ruin this thing for us."

Ah! Okunrin!

"Wait... are you flirting with me?"

"Depends on how you see it on your side."

I grinned and nodded my head, this man was silly. I remembered Mariya once told me rich men had a total different sense of humor compared to the quote on quote- random men. Mariya was wrong, rich men were no different.

"I have a boyfriend, Mr. Madaki," I replied whilst fiddling with my fingers.

The thought of Tunde suddenly felt like I was jabbed by a knife for a moment, memories with him turned sour and there I was feeling downhearted. I didn't know what to do with Tunde, I wasn't sure if I could leave.

Is it Tunde we are talking about now?

"I never mentioned anything," he burst out in a fist of laughter.

"Right!" I grinned whilst biting on my lower lips to prevent myself from being a blushing wreck.

"Should I be scared?"

"This isn't going to take you anywhere, Mr. Madaki."

"Listen, how about we talk somewhere more convenient?" he suggested.

"Somewhere?"

"Yes."

"What if you kidnap me?"

"Oh, trust me if I were, we won't be talking."

"Dem no dey write kidnapper for forehead o." I switched to Pidgin language.

"I promise, there's no criminal record of me."

See gobe!

"Only on one condition, I will be the one to choose where we meet."

"As long as that proves I am not a kidnapper, that's fine by me," he let out a chuckle.

"Cool, I will let you know when." I replied him with a little smile curved on my face.

And there, I tapped on the disconnect button. For some reason, I felt guilty for agreeing to meet him. What was Tunde going to think of me? I mean... I really wanted to fix things between me and Tunde.