Part 21

I was walking alone along the bridge during the sunset that night. I truly felt different now that me and Neteyam had bonded. I felt connected to him. His memories and mine were intertwined. I had heard his thoughts, his breath, his heartbeat and his soul that night. That changes a person of course. Knowing everything about someone in an instant like that is an overwhelming feeling. I stopped walking and looked out over the water. The water reflected the sun off of it's surface and the orange light was shining in my face. And there in that moment, being bathed by sunlight I felt at peace. With myself and with the world. As if we were one. I took a deep breath in, filling my lungs with the gentle evening breeze. As I exhaled I felt someone's hands on my waist.

I turned around to see Tuteano. I smiled at him.

"Hey Beautiful." He greeted me.

"Hey Ano. How are you?" I asked.

"Better now." He said.

I scoffed and nudged his arm and he chuckled at me.

"I'm serious" Ano said still with a smile on his face.

He walked closer.

"How are you Kalin?" He asked.

"I'm good. I love being by the ocean it's so peaceful."

"It's also where we met." He said.

I nodded with a smile.

"Kalin. I haven't been completely honest with you." He suddenly spoke.

I furrowed my brows and looked at him.

"What?"

"There's just something I-"

I took his hands.

"Tell me Ano." I said looking into his eyes.

"I didn't put you and Neteyam together out of pure intentions." He said dissapointed in himself.

I brought my hand up to cup his cheek. His hand held mine on his cheek. He kept looking into my eyes.

"What do you mean?" I asked softly.

His eyes were kind of hypnotizing.

"I put you two back together again because I knew I couldn't control myself otherwise."

"What?" I asked confused.

He was looking at both of my eyes and my lips quickly before he grabbed my face and kissed me. His lips were soft. Gentle. I quickly remembered Neteyam and pulled away.

"Oh. I- I don't-"

"I'm sorry. I just- I can't keep it to myself anymo-"

"Neteyam and I bonded." I interrupted him.

His face fell. He looked almost betrayed. My heart broke seeing him feel like that. I love Ano. But as a friend.

"Oh."

"Yeah. I just- you know what I have to go." I said.

I walked off while running a hand through my hair. What the hell just happened? Had he interpreted my friendliness as flirting and gotten the wrong idea? God. What do I tell Neteyam? I can't tell him. He would rip his head off.

I was walking back to our hut with my peace now disturbed. My thoughts were running through my head. It was as if they consumed my brain. I reached the hut entrance where I stood debating if I should really go in or not. What if I can't keep it a secret?

"Hey you." I heard from behind me.

I turned around to face him. Neteyam. And all of the sudden I felt relieved. His voice is so soothing. With him everything else just floats away. I knew then that I had to tell him.