5. please hold to my hand

Joel was collecting gasoline for the car, while Beth was lying on top of a car reading the book of poems by Emily Dickinson

Beth closed the book, using her halloween photo as a bookmark, and sighed. She didn't really feel like reading and was just feeling bored. "I'm gonna check on Ellie" she told Joel. He responded with "Okay".

The red-haired girl jumped out of the car and made her way to the inside of the gas station. She walked in and, since the bathroom door was slightly open, she looked inside.

"Where did you get that?" Beth asked Ellie, who was holding a gun and pointing it at the mirror.

Ellie was startled by the sudden presence of Beth and the gun slipped out of her hands, falling on the floor. "Jeez!" Beth sighed. 

"I- I got it at Bill and Frank's, while you were asleep" Ellie said, picking up the gun.

"Do you know how to use it?" Beth asked.

"Yeah" Ellie responded.

"Okay then" Beth said, walking to the mirror.

"That's it? You're not gonna try to talk me out of it?" Ellie asked, staring at the girl. 

"Nope, I trust you" Beth said. "Just don't shoot your butt off or anything like that".

Ellie chuckled. "Dude, I'm a professional, alright?" the girl said.

"Yeah? Let me see it then" Beth said, in a challenging tone.

"Okay, okay" Ellie whispered. She held the gun at Beth, and then pretended to shoot people around the bathroom while making a "pew" sound. Beth just watched and smiled.

"I think you should stick to that knife" Beth joked.

Ellie stopped playing around and looked at Beth while trying to hide her smile. Beth got closer to the mirror, opened her backpack, and grabbed her eyeliner. Ellie just watched as Beth applied eyeliner on her top and bottom lid. Beth was happy that she was more comfortable around Ellie and Joel, and that she acted less awkward around them. She was relieved that she was acting like a normal human being now.

When she finished applying the eyeliner, she looked at Ellie through the mirror and saw that Ellie was staring at her. She quickly broke the eye contact and put the eyeliner back on the backpack. 

"We should go" Ellie said, putting her gun in her backpack. Beth nodded and they got out of the bathroom.

It was really sunny, and it was starting to get hot, so Beth decided to braid her hair again in two braids. The two girls walked over to Joel and Beth sat on the ground, next to Joel, and started braiding her hair.

"We have to do this every hour?" Ellie asked Joel.

"Gas breaks down over time. This stuff's almost water. Back in the day, we'd drive 10, 12 hours on one tank. You could go anywhere" Joel explained.