8. blooming

7 days after kansas city.

the days seem to be moving faster than my mind can process. my bruises hurt less, and my wound is not infected anymore, which is great after spending four days feeling sick. I'm still walking with ellie's support, though I don't think I need it anymore. the idea of taping a stick to the back of my ankle is seeming to help (ellie's idea).

joel's talking a bit more and ellie, after talking less for a couple of days, is talking about the same- which is a lot, but i like to hear her talk.  I think I'd go crazy if I had to spend more than a week alone with my thoughts and the music I'm always playing inside my head.

im trying to create peace with my mind, to let go of the past but hold on to the good memories tied to my old life. although a lot of times this acceptance turns into anger, and i seem to scare myself

"Let's keep moving" Joel said to the two girls, so Beth closed her journal and got up. They started walking again through the sandy roads surrounded by forest, as Beth held onto Ellie's arm for support.

Getting bored quickly, Beth grabs her book of poems by Emily Dickinson and opens it on one of her marked pages and decides to read it out loud.

"Had I not seen the Sun- I could have borne the shade- But Light a newer Wilderness- My Wilderness has made" Beth read. "It's so beautiful..."

"How do you even understand that?" Ellie asked, confused.

"I mean, it's easy. «Shade» probably means ignorance, or an old life, so the «Sun» is maybe a new life or even enlightenment. So, had she not seen a new life she could have borne the old one. The «Light» is a wilderness because she is curious about it and wants to explore it" Beth explains.

"I don't know how you do that" Ellie said, still sounding confused.

"My mom was an English teacher, so maybe it's genetic or something" Beth joked. "Me and my sister are named after my mom's favorite book characters, Nancy Drew and Elizabeth March"

"I wish I knew why I'm named Ellie" Ellie complained.

"Ellie means light, if I'm not wrong. Maybe that's what your parents saw in you" Beth said, in a playful tone.

"That's so poetic it makes me sick" Ellie said, making Beth chuckle.

"What do you think, Joel?" Beth asked, looking at Joel, who seemed distracted.