Chapter 4: Or Not

Dusk lays on her simple cot and stares at the ceiling. She replays the events of the last month in her mind, rewinding all the information about Guttermouth over and over again. But she always comes back to that night with the burning building. The flames, the shooting...and Shade.

Except for checking on him four times for a few moments, she hasn't seen him since that fateful day a year ago when she'd found him shot twice and half dead on a rooftop. She'd saved his life that day, but he didn't know. She'd left before he awoke because she was afraid. Afraid, because she knew if he saw her again, he would remember everything that had happened two years ago, and those were memories she did not want to release for him again.

But is that the right thing to do? Keep away and have him lock everything away in the corners of his mind? Or should she be there for him, let him know that she hasn't abandoned him?

Dusk sighs and rolls over onto her side. She doesn't know. Her heart aches; she really wants to see him again, but she can't. She can't. It will just hurt him more.

Dusk growls in frustration and sits up. She grabs her knife from her nightstand and spins, throwing it against the wall. It drives itself into the plaster and sticks there, shuddering in the wall. She gets up and stares at the floor for a second, then yanks her knife back out of the wall and sits back down on her cot. She starts to methodically polish the weapon, calming herself down.

It's fine. Shade is safe and well with his family in Deadline, and she will just keep checking him periodically.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Three days later, in the evening, Dusk is on the move again, knife at her back and braid over her shoulder. She takes to the roofs and goes her rounds, jumping from roof to roof and following a definite spiral pattern, farther and farther outwards from her starting point. When she crosses into Deadline territory a few hours later, she has tow ork hard to keep the memories from drowning her and to stay on her spiral pattern, but she wins the battle and keeps going.

The next jump to the building over takes her back out of Deadline territory and over a gold vein, a main alley where the border lines get iffy. She takes back to the ground after a few more jumps and slides down a wall pipe, landing lightly on the gravel next to the building. She's in Carakter's domain now and has to be a bit more on edge. She turns around to keep going when she hears the voices.

 They're coming from around the corner to her back and she knows it's a gang.

Hey Readers! 

Sorry for the short chapter (and the cliffhanger) but there's more coming, don't worry. Read, comment, vote and tell me how you think this situation is going to play out.

Best wishes, LiethaS