Epilogue: Nocturnal

Dusk strides through the dark allies. It's one in the morning and there's a slight breeze in the air, smelling of concrete and dirt and puddles. This is her home.

She's close to Deadline territory again, always seems to be pulled here. It's the place she feels most at ease. Because of Shade. He's near now. She can feel it.

It's been relatively quiet in the allies lately, ever since she scared off
Halibut from that robbery three weeks ago. Her job is pretty easy tonight, making her rounds, stopping minor misdemeanors if she finds any, and maybe even delivering gangsters to the cops.

Dusk takes a deep breath from the night air, wishing for it to be clearer, then answers her own wish by climbing a fire escape, taking the rungs two at a time. She breaks into a soundless run and travels along the roofs—her style. The air really is nicer up here.

After a few miles, she hears familiar sounds. She's in Deadline territory now, crossed over the line two minutes ago. There's the sound of breaking glass and rough laughter and shouts. A gang.

She draws closer, then suddenly sees Shade. He's on a roof a little ways out from her, sighting through his scope down into the alley where the noises are coming from. Deadline is already at work to drive the gang off of their territory. Nice.

Dusk smiles and feels a rising anticipation to watch them work. She goes carefully so as not to disturb Shade's concentration, then stops on the roof across from him. She stops and crouches down behind the building's edge wall, looking down into the alley just as Chance and Sheridan burst around a corner and starts shooting, not to kill, just to scare them off.

One gangster is hit in the arm—by Chance—and he yells, taking off. The others start to follow, then Chance yanks Sheridan back into shelter out of Dusk's sight and then Shade's shooting. A smile grows on Dusk's face as the deep-throated reports echo through the alley and thunder in her ears. Good times. Her and Shade, the rifle that used to be hers, and Shade's family.

All of the gangsters are on the run by now, and disappear. Shade stops shooting, and gets up. There's the tinkle of ammo and he mutters something under his breath, bending down to pick it up. Dusk stands.

He straightens again and his eyes fall on her shadowy form on the roof. She sees his eyes light up and they share a glance; he's echoing her thoughts she had about the good times. She smiles and gives him a nod and he raises a hand.

"Shade?" That's Chance's voice. He sounds so worried.

Shade jerks around and continues picking up ammo. "Just gimme a few," Dusk hears him call as he looks down over the edge of the roof, down to the side of the building she can't see, probably looking at Chance to let him know he's okay. He sounds a little annoyed and Dusk smiles. "I dropped some ammo," he tells Chance. Then he looks back up at her and smiles again before turning and disappearing down the side of the building.

Dusk turns away and continues her roof patrol, her heart full, Shade's smile still in her mind.

They've been through a lot, him and her, but they've come through in the end.

-Finis-