Chapter 17

Dust woke up. He was warm. He looked around. Hvor er jeg? Hva skjedde? Dust pushed himself up. He was in Cross's house. In his room. Dust stiffened when the door opened. "Dust, how are you feeling?" Cross asked. "Jeg har det bra, antar jeg." Dust shrugged. "What?" Cross asked. Dust paused, then realized he hadn't been speaking common language. "Oh. Sorry. I'm fine." Dust corrected himself. "What language was that?" Cross asked. "Norwegian." Dust said bluntly. "Are you Norwegian?" Cross asked. "I have Norwegian roots, but I don't really consider myself Norwegian." Dust shrugged. "Interesting." Cross said. Dust shifted to a more comfortable position. "Can you teach me how to say something in Norwegian?" Cross asked and sat down next to Dust. "Sure. Why not." Dust shrugged. "Takk for at du tror på meg. It means 'Thank you for believing in me'." Dust said. Cross smiled and looked away. "Geez. You're making me blush." Cross said. "Jeg liker deg også." Dust said. "What does that mean?" Cross asked. "It means 'don't get all cheesy with me now'." Dust told him. That was a lie, but Dust wouldn't tell him what it actually meant. Cross rested his chin on Dust's head. Dust pushed him off. Cross laughed, and Dust couldn't help but laugh too. Suddenly huge footsteps ran through the hallway and Terror ran into the room and leaped onto the bed. "Terror!" Dust wrapped his arms around Terror's neck and held him close.

Few months later

Dust laid in the grass, letting the sun warm him. "Dust!" Cross called him over. Dust stood up and greeted him. "Bird got stuck in a tree again, can you come help get him down?" Cross asked. Dust sighed. "I'm gonna clip his wings if he continues to get stuck." Dust grumbled and went to free Bird. Things have actually been going good for Dust. He had been taking some medication to help with his PTSD (which he didn't know he had) and his violent episodes. He had also met another monster a few months ago. His name is Red. They had gotten along pretty well, but he wasn't sure if Red like liked him. That didn't really matter though. He finally felt safe again. He had a home and friends. He had somewhere to belong. Hell, he hadn't even seen Nightmare since Dust was locked in the dungeon. Everything was going perfectly. He was finally able to open up his heart again and trust the monsters around him. He got a second chance at life. A second chance to be happy.