Chapter Twenty-one.

Chapter Twenty-One

~The death of someone close to us leave us shocked with grief. We cannot understand how one minute this person was here and the next they are gone. The truth is that those we love are never truly gone. The body may have run its course, but the soul lives forever. Human beings have been cognizant of eternal life since the beginning of time. Every culture has its own traditions about death and reincarnation. The anxiety commonly felt about death in our culture is a result of a scientific schema which says that "if I don't see it, it's not there". ~

 ***

I heard Zayn call my name.

Hurriedly, I gave the delivery guy the cash and took the pizza from him.

"Thanks." I flashed him a quick smile, then closed the door with my leg.

In a matter of seconds, I was in front of four pale faces that stared at me, worriedly. "What's wrong?" I asked, my voice laced with fear.

After a few moments, Zayn opened his mouth to speak. "Its - um, I-" he stuttered, his voice breaking with every syllable.

Giving up on speaking, he stood up, coming over to where I stood.

I watched as he stared at me like I was about to break, his eyes dark, almost black. I didn't dare to speak or ask, again.

Not with seeing Zayn in such vulnerable state. Not with seeing a stressed out Louis glancing nervously at anything in the room but me. Not with seeing Perrie and Eleanor's pale faces as they clutched onto each other as if they were being held hostage.

It wasn't till I felt physical contact that I had snapped back to reality.  It was Zayn. He was hugging me.

He hugged me tightly. Giving me one last squeeze, he left.

"What the hell was that?" I mused. "Would any of you kindly explain to me, what the hell is going on?" I asked, getting impatient.

Louis gave me sideways glances, never daring to look me in the eye. Both of the girls still in their speechless state. 

 I crouched down next to Louis, getting in the same eye-level as him. "Louis?"

 Nothing.

 He scooted away slightly, which made me even more anxious. That was the final straw.

 "Oh for fuck's sake, Louis, look at me!"

Surprisingly, he did. Nothing came out from his parted lips, though.

"What happened? Is it Niall?" I asked, waiting for his answer before mentally slapping myself, "Or Harry?" I quickly added.

He slowly shook his head. Meeting my stare, he placed his hand on my knee. "It’s your father, Hanna."

 And it suddenly felt like everything was spinning and I was going to collapse down.

 I placed a hand on the arm chair, the other on Louis' leg to support myself. It felt like neither of my knees or legs were functioning, anymore.

 My heart started beating ten times faster, my breathing became shallow and I felt cold. Very cold. Like wind suddenly blew out of non existence, hitting nobody but me.

I tried to clear my throat but I knew that it was in vain. This was too much for my brain to take in. Something was wrong with the only family I had left.

"What?" I asked with the small energy that was left in me, my voice dangerously low.

 Louis' opened his mouth and was just about to speak when Zayn rushed in the room, his eyes wide and his movement faster than usual. Urgent.