𝟎𝟏

silent treatment

silent treatment

┊┊┊✧  °

"Why are you smoking?" Sydney asked as she walked into the kitchen. Eyeing her mother with a cig in her hand she grimaced in disgust at the smell of cigarettes.

Her mother's head turned around, not expecting her daughter to come in here. She put out the cigarette, and turned to face her daughter.

"Hi, baby. You're up early," she said, changing the subject, and walking closer to her.

Sydney dodged her mothers hug and walked over to the fridge, "It's almost 7," she said, eyeing the canned beer on the dining table next to a pack of her mom's cigarettes.

"Oh, well.." Ashley trailed off, feeling guilty about smoking, even after promising she'd stop.

She watched as Sydney opened the fridge, looking inside before shutting it closed again.

"You're hungry? I can make something," her mother offered, taking Sydney's spot in front of the fridge opening it and finding it empty.

"Yeah," Sydney said as she watched her mother close the door to the fridge again, turning around to look at her.

"I'll buy some groceries before you get back from school, alright, love?" She said, raising her hand up to her daughter's cheek.

Sydney dodged her mother's touch again, going into the living room, Ashley following her.

"You're still giving me the silent treatment?" She asked, her southern accent strong.

"I'm talking to you, aren't I?"

"You know what I mean, Syd," Ashley sighed.

Yes she knew. Sydney was pissed at her mother, because only after three weeks of being broken up, she got back together with her ex, Trevor.

An aggressive, drug addict, that liked to use Sydney as his punching bag.

Of course her mother didn't know about that.

He was the reason her mother had problems with drugs last year. And the reason why they broke up was their disagreement about it. Because while Ashley wanted to get clean, Trevor didn't feel the same.

He loved being high out of his mind.

Sydney was scared. Not only of the beatings she might have to face again, but also that he was going to make her mother relapse and fall back into the deep never ending black hole.

"I should get to school," Sydney said, giving her mother a tight lipped smiled.

Ashley nodded her head, walking with her towards the front door, "you want me to drive you?"

"I saw the beer can," Sydney gave her a look.

Ashley furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, before widening her eyes and opening her mouth in realization. "No, no, no. That's from last night, Syd. I'm sober," she explained.

"Oh. It's fine though, I'll just walk. Bye," she said, giving her mom a small wave before making her way to school.

┊┊┊✧  °

author speaking!
hi. so i actually planned
to post the first chapter
sooner, but i am a big
overthinker and i started
being insecure about
posting the story so i
changed a lot of the stuff
and i'm still not very
sure about this but whatever

hope you guys enjoyed<3