Boston QZ - Chapter Two

I step out and point my revolver directly at Marlene's head and everyone turns round and stares at me.

"Marlene." I scoff, my chest tightening with how much i want to fucking smash her face into the wall.

"(Y/N), what a pleasure to see you" She replies with heaps of sarcasm but her face is stone cold.

She turns to Joel and the woman. "Are you working with her or some shit?" She asks the two.

He turns to face me and I study his face.

A skill I've picked up on throughout the years is the ability to read people just on the their face and this is helped me to get out of so many tricky situations.

All I can see is grief really. Could be off a lot of things as this world is a shit hole but I guessed he probably lost someone close to him. To be fair who hasn't these days?

"No.. you know her?" He replies with caution in his voice. "Unfortunately-" I cut her off with a quick scoff.

"i don't have fucking time for this." i snap, raising my gun to her head once again.

"We're kind of in the middle of something (Y/N), so maybe come back later." Then you could just hear her mumble a "If Marlene's not already dead."

"Woah. And you are?" I shoot the man a glare, she looks back at Joel and he gives her a small nod. "Tess, and you still haven't told us why you are here."

"I'm here because Marlene over there has tried to get rid of me to many times to count and I'm a tad sick of having to try not to be brutally murdered every day." I answer sarcastically while staring at Marlene and waving my gun at her.

"Okay we both know that's mainly FEDRA or it's my guys who doesn't know who you are. I've left you alone since all you do is kill every single firefly you come across." She replies with an annoyed tone.

I give a shrug while smirking smugly slightly.

I was interrupted by Joel kicking the knife away from Ellie.

"Jeez, she's like 10, calm down." I speak loudly to Joel, my him still raised at Marlene's head.

"since when have you had a heart?" I hear Marlene mutter under her breathe and my gaze shoots round to her, my grip tightening on my gun, a lump forming in the back of my throat.

Joel just gives me a rude look then Marlene goes back to speaking.

Only about 20 seconds later he kicks the knife away from Ellie again.

"I said to stop it." I said my voice rising slightly

"Right darlin', this has nothing to do with you." He speaks with a slight accent.

He points the gun directly at Ellie sitting down on the floor with her arms up looking terrified.

"leave her alone!" i shout to him, and he just sates at me and shock but does what i say.

My breath starts to calm down and I stop shaking as much and I regain my thoughts.

"asshole." i mutter under my breathe, kicking the knife towards the girl.

But you could not help and see Joel's cheeks go slightly red and Tess looks at him with one eye brow raised and a smirk.

Word count- 573 words

Date finished- 15/4/23
date updated- 16/6/24