Chapter 4: Anabia

The Spinxan military base stood at the eastern edge of the city of Anabia. Its great blue walls rose up to ninety meters into the air and its entrance was built to appear like the head of an eagle and one would need to enter its open beak.

So as someone entered the base, it almost looked they were being swallowed by a great beast. Chris could not fight off the feeling of being dwarfed by this massive structure.

Hamanymu whistled, impressed by the hulking walls, " Now those are some ridiculous walls, no one is breaking through those things without some major fire power."

" That's kind of the point." Chris didn't even need to bring in the magical wards that existed in walls like these. "This thing is meant to protect this area from any attack. Not even our our collective strength could so much as scratch these walls."

Chris would have drunk in even more parts of the outside of this base before he had even seen the base within, but his frustration had grown as it took them nearly a hour to get through all of the six checkpoints.

By the time they exited the other side, his joy and excitement was gone. The base within was a small city around a great fortress at the center, he could see great water bodies and even a large forest.

The number of knights and Ashikage moving around would probably number close to a million. Chris felt at home as he watched them all, moving about like an ant hive. He had rarely spent time in the capital's royal military base, his mother had arranged matters so that he would meet as few knights from the base as possible, while carrying out his duties.

That warm feeling ended though as he felt the eyes of every person within a hundred meter radius fall upon them. Their piercing gazes were not friendly in the slightest and as they moved closer and closer to the base's main building, the much harsher they became.

"Why are they looking at us like that?" Ursa asked, her annoyance from having to be here, rather than at the Runith Institute being replaced by a nervous uneasiness.

"Hell if I know, just ignore them," Hamanymu responded, though his jittery body language showed that even he didn't believe what he was saying.

They were close to the main building when someone stepped in between them and the stairs that led to the entrance.

This fellow was a fae with short curly black hair. He was dressed in a light blue and grey armor which if Chris was being perfectly honest, looked rather antiquated in style. He carried a great iron axe in hand with an air around him that made it feel like he was hoping to use it.

The fae wore a large grin on his face and was looking directly at them. But Chris could not help but feel a scathing mockery behind the Fae's charcoal black teeth.

"Excuse us friend," he said as he tried to go around the fae, but with some fluttering of his wings, the fae flew to his front and blocked them once more.

"We don't want any trouble," Ursa said to him.

She tried to say it playfully but her nervousness burst through her attempt at a disarming chuckle which sounded more like the gurgling of a dying man.

"Of course, why would prince Christian Ddraig, son of Natalia Ddraig, want any trouble." The fae responded, his smile morphing into a halfway sneer.

"Good, then may we pass?" Ursa asked hopefully.

"Sure you can, wouldn't want to keep our dear prince waiting here. I mean you have come from your golden cradle to finally see the rest of us peasants, wouldn't want to see your soft skin get bruised, now would we," The fae said as he took a few steps forward.