Chapter 1

One week until I meet with my controller, one week. My heart thuds as my body jolts with excitement. One week and three months until I will be like everyone else. Normal, normal, normal.

"LEYNA!" My Mom yells from the kitchen, "it's school time!"

"Coming Mom!" I yelled back from my small bedroom upstairs. I always wonder if it's my mom actually speaking, or if it's her controller speaking for her. Obviously, it's her controller. The only thing that still belongs to my Mom is her thoughts, and she can't even communicate those to me. Although it sounds terrible, it's actually perfect. Everyone is the same that way, and their are no arising conflicts. The controllers are able to make the smarter decisions for us. Overall, that is normal.

I raced downstairs to greet my Moms familiar face in the kitchen.

"Good morning Leyna. I hope you slept well. I already have your lunch packed for school. Honey, you look super pale. Are you nervous about your evaluation?" My Mom quickly blabbed.

After the procedure, people tend to talk really fast and rush all of their thoughts together at once. I'm not really sure why, it just happens.

"I-I'm fine Mom, just a little nervous for my evaluation." I stutter as I pick up my lunch with a shaky hand.

"Don't forget to do well in school. Keep up your good grades so your controller will pick you a wealthy husband! Don't get into any trouble, or you'll get kicked out of school." My Mom called after me as I darted out the door. It's the same story every time... Reminders, reminders, reminders.

I grabbed my blue bike from the edge of my driveway and scurried down the road. School is always enjoyable. Since I'm number one in my grade in every subject except French, the expectations are very high. In the end, I always excel everyone's expectations.

As I approached the bus, I caught up with my friends, Reed and Victoria, who were just loading the bus.

"Hey Leyna!" Reed shouted as I locked up my bike on the bike rack.

"Hey Reed," I replied, grinning. Reed is one of those guys that was everyone's friend and he loves attention.

I jumped up the bus steps, just as we took off towards our final year of school.