Chapter 3

My heart jumped out of my chest. It was all just a dream. No kissing, no dog, no nothing. Just a dream. I sighed with relief as I reached for the cool glass of water sitting on the top of my dresser. Water came out my nose as a startling knock came from my door.

"Come in," I called with a water filled mouth.

"Hey honey," my mom replied as she sat on the end of my bed. "Are you nervous? Your evaluation is today."

I was in absolute disbelief. "TODAY?" I replied, frantically.

"Yes today, sweetheart," my mom responded calmly. "It's OK, I know you're a little frantic, that's normal. I remember I was scared too. Then I realized my controller was absolutely amazing and all my fears vanished. You'll be fine and he'll love you."

Mom, how can I believe this? This isn't even you talking. I mean it sounds like you, but it's not your words.

"Whatever." I retorted, aggravated. I leaped off my bed and sprinted towards my closet, looking for the perfect dress to impress my controller. I stared at the the bright-yellow, flower printed dress dangling right in the middle. Faking a cough to get my mom to leave, I turned around to see if she had acknowledged my goodbye signal. 

Once I had heard the final click of the door shutting, I began to change into my dress. Making sure it flattered my figure, I slipped on my brown sandals, did my hair, brushed my teeth, and put on a light coat of mascara. I trotted down the stairs to greet my mom at the front door.

"Time to go?" She uttered, checking my outfit from head to toe. "You look wonderful."

"Thank you," I replied lifelessly. 

We wandered out the front door and hoped into our beat up Chevy. The ride was silent, no communication between the two of us what-so-ever. I dazed out the window, looking at the agriculture that surrounded me.

We finally arrived at the Evaluatory, for my evaluation. We were greeted by young man, a few inches taller than me. He gazed at me like I was a juicy piece of meat, his lips tugging into a smile at the corners.

Wow, was this boy attractive. "I'm Ryder Grate," he announced confidently. He had beach blond hair that covered his forehead. His bright blue eyes resembled the blue sky on a bright beach day. 

 "I'm L-Leyna, " I replied, quivering. "Leyna Bevet." He could tell I was extremely nervous. He smiled warmly, trying to comfort me. 

"I'm your controller. If you don't mind Mrs. Bevet, I'll take Leyna inside and we'll talk." Ryder declared, directing his eyes on my wiry expression the entire time. 

I smiled back at my mom and followed Ryder inside the tall, glass building. He waited for me at the front door, holding it open for me as I strolled in. 

"This way," Ryder whispered, grabbing my elbow to lead me in the right direction. "You look astonishing."

"Well, you're not bad yourself." I replied, keeping my eyes directed on the room around me and not the beautiful man beside me. In the corner of my I saw his lips tug into a smile. He was flattered. He shouldn't be flattered. He's my controller, not my awkward summer love. 

I couldn't think clearly, thoughts about my dream still floated in my head. Would being able to choose really make my life better? If I could actually choose who I wanted to marry and actually be able to control my body for the rest of my life, would I be happier? I honestly I have no idea. Ryder's warm hand on my elbow was too much of a distraction. His hand was soft, really soft. Does he apply lotion daily? What kind of--. What the heck Leyna. Control yourself. You're at your evaluation. Start a conversation or something.

"So umm, why do I get the sexy controller?" I asked, unable to contain myself. Well, that's definitely one way to start a conversation.

Ryder laugh and replied, "Why thank you, I guess it just so happened. I picked you because you seemed very interesting and I wanted to be able to control someone... different." He looked down at my eyes and smiled. We were now standing outside a door marked "Evaluation Room 27."

"After you," Ryder proclaimed, gesturing his hand through the door. 

I dawdled into the evaluation room and scanned my scenery. The room was a deep purple, from ceiling to floor. The walls were written with our world's most famous quote, "be the controller you know to be." From a young age, that quote was embedded into my head. Reiterated multiple times. 

Ryder pointed to a chair in the corner of the room and I quickly took a seat.

"Please don't feel uncomfortable or nervous," Ryder said, accompanying me with sitting in the chair beside me. 

"I-I'm not, I'm not." I replied, stammering. 

"Good," Ryder responded, showing his first sign of nervousness. 

As Ryder began his long memorized speech, that every controller has to recite before evaluating their soon-to-be-controlled person, his words became a blur. I was captured by his mesmerizing lips moving up and down as he spoke. 

When his words finally became audible, the smell of smoke penetrated my lungs and the world disappeared before my eyes.