A knock sounded on Peyton's door. She said, "Come in."

The door opened to reveal Stiles. "Hey. You remember Heather? There's a party for her tonight and I was wondering if you wanted to come."

Peyton frowned. "Not really. Heather and I never clicked."

"Please? You don't have to stay, but I would like you there."

She let out a long sigh. "Ugh; fine. How do I look?"

"Beautiful."

Peyto.  smiled tightly, knowing that something could definitely happen between Stiles and Heather.

---

They got to the party and Peyton offered a brief wave to what she hoped was Heather. She stood near the door, listening.

A clearly buzzed guy walked up to her and said, "Wanna find somewhere quiet?"

"No," she retorted.

"Come on, baby." He pulled her close, a hand inching towards her butt.

Peyton kicked at him. "Touch me again and you won't be able to walk."

"Bitch," another guy muttered.

Peyton narrowed her eyes. "Sure. If I'm a bitch because I defended myself, thanks for calling me one. Go find someone else to screw."

She felt for the door handle and stepped outside.

Stiles frowned, seeing Peyton's expression. "What happened?"

Peyton froze, then asked, "Where's Heather?"

"Um, I don't know. We were making out and I went to the bathroom upstairs and when I returned to the basement, she was gone. What happened to you?"

She shook her head. "Uh, nothing. Sorry about Heather."

"Peyton-"

"I don't want to talk. Can you take me home?"

Stiles nodded slowly. "Yeah sure."

The ride back to her house was awkwardly silent and Stiles waved as she got out upon arrival. "See you tomorrow."

Peyton offered a tiny wave in return and entered her house.

---

The next day at school, they met up with Derek in an empty classroom. Peyton gestured to Lydia and Allison's wrists. "Derek, look."

He shook his head. "I don't see anything."

"Look again," Scott said.

Derek frowned at Scott. "How is a bruise gonna tell me where Boyd and Erica are?"

Peyton huffed. "If you looked, you'd see it's exactly the same on both sides. I mean, at least according to my friends."

"It's nothing."

Lydia pursed her lips. "Pareidolia. Seeing patterns that aren't there. It's a subset of apophenia."

Scott's eyes narrowed at the werewolf. "They're trying to help."

Derek pointed to the two girls. "This one, who used me to resurrect my psychotic uncle. Thank you. And this one, who shot about 30 arrows into me and my pack."

Stiles said, "Okay, all right, now, come on. No one died, all right? Look, there may have been a little maiming, okay, a little mangling, but no death. That's what I call an important distinction."

Allison glared at Derek. "My mother died."

Derek rolled his eyes. "Your family's little honor code killed your mother. Not me."