8. The Gown

Two things were certain about that monday. One, I would not have the luxury of enjoying breakfast. And two, I would not make it to transfiguration class on time. The night before, I had passed out the very moment I laid on my bed. It had truly been an exhausting day, and it drained me to the point where I overslept the next morning, only awakened by a house elf that was trying to clean our bedroom. I believe Poppy tried to wake me up earlier, but my plea to get just five more minutes of sleep would extend way beyond that, and have me running late to class.

My footsteps sounded loud as I made my way through the empty hallway. Just as I turned around the corner, I collided with a Gryffindor student.

"Woah. Watch it, Ambrose." he exclaimed. His ginger hair looked messy with curls dancing around his face.

"Sorry, Garreth. I'm late for your aunt's class."

"Ah! Be my guest," he made an inviting gesture towards the transfiguration courtyard. I started trotting across the open space, but stopped mid way when I noticed he wasn't coming along.

"Are you skipping class?"

"I call it curricular self management." he replied, leaning on the archway I had just passed. "It's already too late to join anyway, how do you plan to sneak in?"

I had not thought about that

"Disillusionment charm?"

"My aunt will see right through it. Trust me, I should know."

"Then what do you suggest?"

"There's a sweet spot by the quidditch field where the sun hits just right at this hour."

"Are you serious?"

He pulled out a brown paper bag from his robes.

"I got enough lemon pound cake for both of us." he said, slightly raising his eyebrows.

I didn't want to fall behind and pester my classmates to help me catch up later, but my stomach ultimately made the decision for me.

He was right about the sunlight. We had found a spot where we could catch the warm rays on our faces, which felt rather soothing amidst the cool embrace of the open field. Once we sat on the grass, he searched for something in his robes and put it in my hands.

It was a silver flask.

"Watch this" he said as he pointed his wand towards the flask and casted a refilling charm. The metal now felt warm in my palms, and he urged me to open the bottle.

"Coffee?" I asked as I smelled the beverage.

"My own personal brew." he exclaimed, quite proud of his trick. I was hesitant to take the first sip, having witnessed the consequences of his "personal" brewings quite a few times during potions class. But I gave it a try.