9. Out of Sight

"OUCH. Sebastian, will you watch your step for once?" Ominis complained, taking a step back.

"You just told me to keep my gaze up front! Which is it?!"

"Can't you sense my movements without looking at all? Dear Merlin, you wouldn't last a day in my shoes."

With one hand on his waist, and the other holding his hand, I was grateful that the undercroft remained a secret to the rest of our classmates. Once I learned about the upcoming ball, I had Ominis help me practise everyday after class. And I did not expect him to come so willingly, but the minute he tried dancing with me for the first time, he felt obligated to do so.

"I don't think I can handle this level of second hand embarrassment, which means a lot coming from a blind person, Sebastian." he had said back in our room. So he committed to help me until I got any better.

"Okay, one more time. I promise not to step on you." I tried to convince him.

He sighed, and placed his hand on my shoulder again. A set of violins were playing by themselves in the background, giving us a beat to dance to.

"One two three, one two three. Don't rush it." he ordered while I led him around.

"Soften your grip, will you? You're going to bruise her! It's not like she's going to run away from you."

"Knock it off! I'm focusing on too many things at once."

"I think you need a break" he suggested, and the violins stopped playing.

I took a seat in one of the wooden crates, and rested my elbows on my knees, dropping my head in defeat.

"I'm not cut for this."

"I think you are. I know the way you move, you are no brute. You're simply letting your nerves get the best of you, that's all."

"What do you want me to do?"

"Calm down. Stop overthinking the situation, it's just a ball."

"Easier said than done. I've never been to a ball before and she... Well, judging by her letters she already amassed some experience. She danced with muggles that were trained to court her, Ominis. How am I supposed to beat that?"

He sighed in resignation. "If any of them had succeeded, don't you think she would've been married off already?"

It still felt like a competition where I was lacking. I didn't live in a palace, or attend high society gatherings. I buried my nose in books, and got in trouble incredibly often. That was it, that was all I was good at. That and duelling, but that would not be of any use in this case.

"When are you planning on asking her?" He demanded to know.

I sighed and rubbed my temple. That was my other concern. I had spent so many hours worrying about being the perfect companion for her that I lost track of days, and some distance had inevitably grown between us.

"I don't know. I've been avoiding it for so long now that I don't even know how to approach her."

"My goodness! Stop being so dramatic, will you? It's been a week already, Sebastian. If you don't do it soon, someone else will." he pointed out, frustrated with my lack of composure. "Or maybe someone else already has. A girl like her gets a lot of attention."

"Thanks, that's very helpful."

"Imagine if it was Weasley dancing with her. Do you want that?"

Ominis knew exactly how to push my buttons.