11. The Ball (Part 2)

The night was going so well, it was hard to believe. Not even all the possible scenarios in my head had prepared me for this. This feeling of bliss, this story of endless smiles and sighs. If I ever thought Sebastian was a charming young man, tonight he outbested himself. That suit was perfectly tailored for him, doing a lot more justice to his tall figure than any school robes ever could. If I wasn't so hypnotised by his charm, I am certain that I would've found dozens of eyes staring at him as well. And I could not blame them at all.

The whole experience was something completely opposite to the tedious nights back in London. Dancing had become a thing of the past for me, a dreadful activity that would only serve for exhibiting myself to men I didn't care for. But now, I was gliding on clouds, floating in Sebastian's arms no less. Undeniably surrendered to him, I let him guide me to the sound of music, losing myself in a lullaby that I hoped would never end.

That perfect bubble of paradise finally popped when a couple collided with us. It was Amit and Imelda.

"Serves you good for standing in the middle of the dancefloor, Sebastian." she scoffed while she fixed her dress. Amit wouldn't stop apologising over and over.

"Perhaps we should go somewhere more private?" I suggested, and let Sebastian lead me out of the dancefloor while he held my hand.

While we were absorbed in our dancing, the landscape around us had shifted. Most of the tables were empty now, and the few people that weren't spinning and swirling on the dance floor were either strolling or gathering in small circles. We walked without a clear destination in mind, carefully eluding the more populated corners in the room, exchanging a knowing glance or two along the way. I could feel him trying to decipher my thoughts just as much as I was trying to decode his intentions, a silent exchange that would continue until one of us finally gave in.

"A penny for your thoughts?" He asked with a coy smile on his face.

I turned my gaze to my own feet, hiding my giddy reaction from him.

"I don't think I can put them in a coherent sentence right now, I'm afraid." was my honest answer. I looked over my shoulder, still doing a conscious effort to avoid his inquisitive gaze, and heard a hint of mischief when he chuckled.

"Nothing too bad, I hope. I'd hate being a dreadful partner for you." he answered back, still holding my hand as we walked together.

"Um, excuse me!" I heard a high pitched voice calling for me from one of the tables behind us. I stopped on my feet and turned around, wondering who this familiar voice belonged to. "Ambrose? Is that you?"

The young girl jolted from her chair and faced me with eyes big as plates.

"Hello Sophronia. You look lovely in that gown." I greeted her, trying to hide my unwillingness to engage in conversation. She could drag it on forever if she wanted to, and tonight was definitely not the night to take my risks.

"Do you have any idea of what you're wearing?" She demanded to know with a severe tone in her voice.

"Ummm. It's..." I started dabbling into the possibilities, but she cut me off in a heartbeat.

"You don't!" She gasped and rolled her eyes at me. Sebastian and I exchanged looks, we were equally confused at the girl's tantrum.

"Of course you don't. I have no idea how you got it but this fabric"- she said, grabbing my skirt "it belonged to a very prestigious collection. A collection that gathers historic artefacts connected to Hogwarts. This has to be an imitation, of course. Otherwise... you'd be wearing..."