Letting go

'Try again.' His demand clicked through me, but I couldn't focus on the object that lay a few meters ahead of us. I tried to connect to that burning sensation, the ancient magic, but nothing crawled up from under my skin. I did not see any traces, any light. The more I tried, the more nauseous I got. Ominis stood behind me, which did not help as his presence was very distracting the last few days. After our little adventure in the shed, in between our working tasks to help out my father, he snuck up on me in any place you could imagine. We made out a lot, and if possible, had sex. Only the nights were separated as I did not dare to wake my father up by sneaking into each other's room.

So, Ominis trying to be my mental magic coach was not very helpful although I really loved him for trying.
'Again!' His voice was stricter now, almost impatient. 'I can't,' I said with a whiny voice. I hated the feeling my failure gave me, the nauseousness. I couldn't recall if the magic had always made me feel that way – it was just now I tried to cast it after two years of burying it.
'Yes you can, you are just afraid.' I knew he was right, but I did drop my wand-arm, defeated. He wouldn't have it, and again, he'd snuck up on me, grabbing my waist.

We were standing in one of the abandoned fields near the Dijkstra farm where we placed some random trash from the shed in the center. The goal was to do something with it, move, destroy, it had to be done with my magic. We were out of sight of muggles, only my dad could see our shapes from our home. I relaxed a little with Ominis' arm around my waist, laying my head back on his chest. 'I could just tell you I did it, you won't be able to see anyway,' I murmured as a joke, but he did not laugh.
'I am not deaf and stupid, miss Dijkstra.' He lightly placed a kiss on the hair on my head. I smiled, lowering my wand a bit more, hoping to get something else out of this. But his wand was still lifted, red light showing. The navigation magic.
'Do it,' he whispered into my ear, and for a second I felt the burning flame of the magic under my skin. I took a sharp breath, ready to feel sick again, but it faded as soon as it came up. As if he knew, he slowly moved his teeth along my ear, as if he was going to bite it. 'Do it. For me.'

Light struck from my wand and within seconds I dropped it onto the ground, afraid of what it could do. I jerked away from him, upset with myself. I felt tears welling up into my eyes. 'I can't!' I snapped at him, getting on my knees to find my wand in the high grass. He got on his knees next to me, finding my shoulder so he could lightly touch it.

'You worry too much. The magic is yours, it won't hurt you.' I shook my head, trying to slap away his hand. 'I don't care about me, I don't want to hurt you!' I gasped, grabbing my wand when I found it. He went quiet, but helped me stand up again, holding me by my shoulders so I could look into his gaze.
'Shall I leave? Maybe then-'
'No!' a little too fast, I took his hand in mine. 'Stay,' I murmured, turning around so I could try again. I wasn't sure, but Ominis made a sound that could've been a chuckle. It made me feel less upset as I looked at the trash pile in the middle of the meadow again.

Focus. Focus on the light going through your veins, towards the tip of your wand, is thought to myself. Focus on your wand, yield it. Cast the silent spell. I flicked my wand, moving it as I'd done before, trying to get the light out of my fingers. A light spark- and then nothing.
'So close, Ava.' Ominis stood behind me again moving his wand to guide him. I nodded and wanted to say something, but then a figure appeared right next to us with a loud plop.

The figure was a woman, with the same auburn colored hair as mine, olive skin and huge glasses that made her eyes ten times bigger than they were.
'Mother?!' I shouted surprised, a little shocked by her sudden appearance. She also looked surprised, getting up from where she'd dropped her suitcase and spread her arms.
'My dear! I hoped I could see you before you headed back to school!' I answered her greetings with a tight hug, glad to smell her familiar scent again – mixed with days of nature and no baths.
'You stink,' I murmured, coughing from the strongness of dirt I smelled. She laughed, looking over my shoulder towards Ominis.
'Oh, hello!' Her always good mood was very contagious. I noticed him smile politely as he stepped forward, sticking out his hand to shake hers.
'Nice to meet you, Mrs. Dijkstra, my name's Ominis Gaunt.'
'Gaunt, you say? Huh. And you're blind.' A little ashamed I poked her on her arm while she shook his hand. 'Mom, no.'
'Just stating the obvious. You're Marvolo Seniors' son, then?' Ominis nodded, not ready to explain. But my mother seemed to realize she should mind her own business, and stared at our house.