Chapter 6 ~ Scorch

"TURN ME INTO A SEA DRAGON," Drip wrote.

I scrunched up my snout. How does this scavenger know I am an animus? I thought. I looked at Wiki. Oh, Wiki's the giveaway.

I stamped out Drip's message so that no other dragons would see. He noisily protested, as if to say "I know you can!" while shaking the bag of jewels.

He stopped short once I lowered my right wing to the ground, inviting him to climb on. Wiki nestled himself into the pouch that I previously had my necklace in.

It took a moment for Drip to realize I was inviting him. He looked between my wings and the bag of jewels in his paws.

When his eyes finally landed on my face, watching, his face lit up and he decided. Drip flung the bag of jewels away and excitedly squeaked something to his father. His father squeaked back, saw me, and ran over. Drip energetically climbed onto my back. His father was more reluctant but followed suit. It felt weird and unsteady to have something riding on my back, but they held tight.

As they were climbing on, I stared at the colored jewels on the ground. Being a scavenger, Drip must have worked most of his life to get them. Seeing him just throw them away like that — it's not something a selfish person would do. He is ready to give up everything, I realized.

I lifted into the air, filled with these thoughts. With three great pumps, we were fifty tails into the air, and I could sense both scavengers were thrilled.

I craned my neck to check on how they were doing.

I grinned. Their fur was already ruffled, both scavengers with wide smiles. I gave them a moment of soft gliding so they could take in the view of the desert.

Then I plummeted down. They both squealed as I swooped though the arched entrance on the wall of the stronghold and up onto the sandstone balcony of my quarters.

The scavengers were shocked still. I felt them trembling lightly, probably filled with adrenaline. They looked at each other for a moment as I watched. Then they both slumped to the floor, giggling. Wiki got out and similarly slumped to the floor. He didn't expect the sudden swoop, either. Drip's father made an exhausted "Weehee!" expression and limply threw one paw into the air. Their windswept faces and smiling figures were hilarious.

I couldn't help chuckling as I opened my balcony door and entered my quarters. Just like the rest of the stronghold, the walls, floor, and ceiling were constructed with bricks of a mixture of sand and clay. Simple as they were, the bricks were strong and kept the interior cool on hot days. The color of the bricks were sandy white, to match the background of the desert.

My quarters was not very extravagant. Princes didn't get many special things. But it worked for me. The balcony, with glass doors, peered on the 4th floor of the stronghold. It gave a relaxing view of the desert while also in the shade of some of the higher levels.

From the perspective of the door to the balcony, my bed was directly on the left, head against the left wall, about a dragon's length from the balcony wall. Past the bed was my lounge area. There were a few seats and cushions and a table. To the right of my lounge area, obstructed from view by the right wall, was the doorway. My bed, lounge area, and the exit door formed an upside-down L-shape, with the balcony door being at the top of the L. On the opposite wall of the exit door was another doorway. From the perspective of entering it, my closet was on the right and my study was straight ahead. My study was where I spent most of my time. Upon entering it, on the left was my desk, on the wall of the doorway was my personal scroll rack, and on the back wall was Wiki's scroll pile. I emptied all my scrap scrolls there and he enjoyed lounging among them. I didn't have very many candles in my quarters. Wiki has a severe phobia of them.