Chapter 11

"Is that your grandfather, Artful?" Exquisite asked, horrorstruck, over the loud whines, growls and howls of the African wolf. There was only a tiny squeak of fear from inside the burrow. "Meeep!" Birch sounded. 

"Spirits above," Ebony whispered. "It was actually true, Artful, Exquisite, this is true, and he hadn't even killed it yet!"

Exquisite looked at the burrow, then at Birch, then thought of the warthog. "I-is that against the code?"

"No, not really,"

Exquisite let out a relived sigh, but turned her focus to Ruthless. The lion looked up, his jaws bloody, took the pelt and ran away. Ebony gave an angry screech. "He didn't even eat the body!" She shrieked, and took off into the air. The angry vulture swooped down on Ruthless and scratched him deeply o n the snout. Her moves were fast and unpredictable. Ruthless gave a roar of fury and swiped at Ebony. She swiftly dodged and scratched him on the shoulder. "YOU USELESS VULTURE!" Ruthless roared again. "DON'T MAKE ME COME UP THERE AND END YOUR STUPID LIFE!"

Ebony laughed.  "Come up here then!" she gave a flip in the air, dived again, and bit Ruthless's tail. Ruthless gave another angry roar and ran. "WHO'S STUPID NOW, HAIRFACE!" she squawked  delightfully. She flew back to Exquisite, Birch and Artful, who had came out during the fight. Artful laughed. "I saw that Ebony, and it made me feel so much better," 

Ebony looked at the remains of the wolf sadly. "I don't feel like eating that," she told them. Exquisite and Artful nodded. "I would've, if it wasn't killed by breaking the code and by Ruthless,"

"The other scavengers would soon finish that off," Exquisite mewed, as a small vulture swooped down on it. "Wait-" Ebony started. More vultures flew down to cover the carcass. "That's myyy flock," she groaned. "Gotta go, I'll catch you up later," and she took off.

As the sun started setting, as the sky turned vibrant shades of collate blue, magenta, fuscia, and merrigold, Artful, Exquisite and Birch watched Ebony's silhouette fly into the distance.