Chapter Five

AZIRAPHALE

    Aziraphale had slumped over and laid his head in his lap as he sat, catatonic, upon the toilet.  It had been some time since the final bell had rung and his eyes were droopy from all the crying.  Honestly, he thought he would lay there for all eternity.  It seemed fitting: to spend the rest of his existence in a bathroom when his whole angelic career, his dignity, and his overall sanity had all gone to shit.  Perhaps his wings would collapse from disuse and melt off his body — then he would finally be rid of God's Great Plan, and all its trappings.

    Just then, however, the door of the bathroom burst open and the sound of rushing feet made a symphony of the laminate tile.  'Aziraphale!' came Crowley's voice.  'Are you here?'

    Well, fudge, thought AziraphaleNow he knew just how pathetic he was.  He didn't respond, proving that by lying to his friend, he was really the most worthless individual in the universe.

    But Crowley wasn't an idiot.  'Z, I know you're in here,' they said in a matter-of-fact tone of voice.  'Your breathing is ridiculously easy to recognise.'

    'Go away,' Aziraphale muttered, frowning.  'I don't want you to see me like this.'

    Aziraphale heard Crowley's sigh through the cubicle door — just another idiosyncrasy that he loved so much about them.  It was the way the pitch of it always seemed to dip at the end, like Crowley was perpetually tired of everyone and everything.  Aziraphale wished he were as easygoing, that he could express those feelings without wanting to throw up, but alas, no luck.

    'What happened?' Crowley asked.  'Did Tracy upset you?  Look, I know that some of the things she says are wildly off-base, but she's really harmless —'

    Crowley's words died in the empty air.  Aziraphale hugged his knees, making sure that he was completely hidden behind the grey door of the toilet.  He hated this... these feelings.  It was the one thing about Gabriel that he envied sometimes... how he could just switch everything off, and rule everything with pure logic.  Though, it was something for which he also hated Gabriel.  In fact, he hated Gabriel more than anything.

    'Look, Z, you don't have to open the door,' said Crowley, after a while, 'but I want you to know that I'm here for you.  I always am.  Whatever has happened, we can get through it together.'  There was another sigh, and the sound of Crowley shifting their weight in that uncomfortable way that they did when they were nervous.  Aziraphale held his breath.  'And... ugh... I don't even want to think about this right now... but Chad De Ville's throwing a party tonight and basically the entire school is going.  I was wondering if — well, I don't know — if you wanted to come with me?  And we can get ready together, like you and Tracy do all the time.'

A laugh escaped Aziraphale's throat, involuntary.  'You want to take me to a party?'  He giggled.  'You do see where we are right now, right?  I'm holed up in a bathroom like a crazy person.'

'Nothing you do could make you a crazy person to me, Aziraphale.'

Aziraphale blushed.  Oh.  That was making him feel things that he... didn't necessarily want to feel.

'Come on, Z,' Crowley urged, 'please let me take you to the party.  We can go dancing and get drunk like all shitty teenagers are supposed to do.'

Aziraphale paused, contemplating.  Truthfully, he said, 'I don't think I've ever been a shitty teenager.'

'No,' Crowley laughed, 'I don't think you have.  But we could try it?  It might make you feel better.'

'It might?'

'It will.'

END OF CHAPTER

Hiiiiii guys! Congrats, you're finally getting some fluff. You deserve it for the absolute zero I've been giving you for the past few weeks.

And Anyways, please let me know what you thought of this chapter in the comments below. Also, don't forget to vote and follow me! It would be greatly appreciated.

As always, love you all <3

- Sophia.