Chapter 23: The Immortal Stonekeeper

Jonathan tapped his foot impatiently against the tiled floor while he leaned against the wall in mock coolness. The concept of impatience should be irrelevant to an immortal being like him, but he figured his human mind still had not fully accepted that fact yet. Uniformed policemen walked into the building and gave him occasional glances, but nothing too much to elicit a response from him. It was obvious that those who were staring for a little too long were the inexperienced ones. And those who didn't, obviously recognised the ex-informant.

A familiar clacking of boots drew Jonathan's attention. He ended his little game of 'Spot the newbie' and turned to the beaming woman walking down the stairs. They took a walk along the busy streets.

"So?" he asked her expectantly.

"Case closed!" she piped. "And I've got better news. I just quit the force."

Jonathan's eyes widened.

"Chief wasn't exactly happy about it, but nobody cares." Anya flipped her hair carefreely. "I figured I'd have a better place somewhere that appreciates my services instead of selling me out to their system."

"Good call, buddy." Jonathan grinned as the two of them turned into an empty alley. "Wait, doesn't this mean that you're going to move to another police station?"

"Close." She giggled. "I'm moving to The Scottish Witch Market permanently as sheriff and paranormal investigator. I made quite a few friends while you were away, and they taught me some magic too. It's so refreshing, the way it functions. Your payment is used to power what you paid for."

"Gee, you never run out of surprises, Detective Anya."

"The apartment is yours, if you're wondering. Though I have a feeling you won't be staying in it for long." Anya's voice dropped a little. "You're going to have to contend with so much trouble, like changing identities and keeping a low profile. How do you intend to live your immortal life from now on?"

"One day at a time, one thing at a time," Jonathan replied with a wry smile.

"Hey, Jon." Anya tilted her head down shyly. "Don't... don't forget about me, alright? Come visit me. I... I'm going to miss you."

"So will I."

Anya looked up at Jonathan, and gasped as she felt his lips interlock with hers. They embraced each other tightly for a few minutes, until Jonathan finally pulled away. Anya panted heavily, her cheeks completely flushed as her eyes darted away from his.

"I... I..." She paced around, fanning herself frantically. Anya raised her trembling fingers in an attempt to create a portal, but only sparks appeared in the air. She clasped her hand harder, getting increasingly flustered, until Jonathan held them.

"I'll always be there for you, Anya." Jonathan smiled warmly at her. "Thank you for being here for me all this time."

Anya nodded shyly and pressed her face against his shoulder.

"I'm not in a rush to leave. Let's stay like this for a while longer."

~ ~ ~

Two months later...

"Will you tell me what's the occasion already? It's nearly midnight."

"It's not like you need to sleep anyway."

Jonathan rolled his eyes and continued strolling the deserted walkway with his companion. Frogs croaked in the distance while dried leaves rustled along the pavement. It was not like he had ever envisioned himself hanging out with a vampire before, but something this cliché was definitely not what he would have anticipated. Lucy stopped abruptly and plopped herself onto a nearby bench.