Chapter 2

(Dipper pov)

I take Antonio down to a hall on the first floor where my Aunt Kathy, Uncle Felix, and cousin Diego are waiting. My Aunt Kathy comes over to Antonio hugging him tightly.

"I was worried about you. Do not ever hide and make me worry about you like that again, understood?"

"Understood, Mama."

She lets go of him as they go to the courtyard. I kneel down straightening the collar of Antonio's shirt. I can tell that despite my encouragement earlier, he is still really worried. Just like I was the night Mabel got her gift.

"Hey, you are going to be great. Trust me. Everything is going to turn out perfect."

I give him a smile and feel relieved when he smiles back. I stand up, taking a step back as he steps into the courtyard. All the attention is on him as he looks up at the stairs that lead to what will be his new door.

He looks back at me, nervousness written all over his face, as he holds out his hand for me.

He really wants me to walk up there with him? Me of all people? But we aren't supposed to do that. I don't know exactly why, we just aren't. Me and Mable only walked together because we were twins and were supposed to get our gift together.

"I can't." I whisper gently, hoping that he really could do this.

"I need you." He whispers back.

Gulping nervously I step forward, taking his small hand in mine. I see everyone's shocked expressions at seeing me be a part of this, especially Stan. I know that they all think of me like bad luck because I don't have a gift. But I can prove them wrong. I know that one day I will prove them wrong.

I look down at Antonio, him tightly clinging to my arm. "Come on, lets go get you a cool room."

Taking a deep breath in and out I gently lead him up the stairs. This whole thing feels like I'm the one back waiting to see what my gift will be. But I know that this isn't about me. This is Antonio's day. I just need to forget about mine and give it all to him.

At the top of the stairs, I let go of his hand as he walks up to Stan. Stan holds out the candle and Antonio places his hands on it as Stan asks the same thing he asked me and Mabel all those years ago.

"Do you promise to use this Gift to honor our miracle? To serve this community and strengthen our home?"

"I-I do."

He lets go of the candle as he walks up to the door, reaching out and grasps the doorknob.

To everyone's relief and amazement we watch as a door forms, a golden silhouette of him carved into the door.

A bird flies out of nowhere and lands on his arm, squawking something.

"I understood him....I can talk to animals!" The bird squawks something else and he nods his head. "Of course they all can come."

My eyes widen more as all kinds of different animals flood into the house. He opens his door and everyone follows him into the room.

His entire room is bigger than the entire house and honestly it looks like the most gorgeous jungle I have ever seen in my entire life. I stand off to the side as the entire family takes turns congradulating Antonio. Finally Stan goes over to him ruffling Antonio's hair.

"I knew that you would have a gift as special as you are, kiddo."

I will be the first to admit that hearing him say those exact words to someone else, stings. Not just a little either. It stings a lot. Like a really crappy amount.

The whole family gathers in front of one of the biggest trees as one of the townspeople holds up a camera. "On three, say Pines. One, Two, Three!"

"Pines!" They all say, all of them showing off their different gifts as the picture of the whole family is taken.......everyone except me that is.

I hug my arms to myself as I watch this from the side, it feeling like everything around me just slows down. I look down, feeling hot tears stinging my eyes. I can not let them know how I feel, I refuse to let my feelings ruin Antonio's big day.

"Don't be upset or mad at all
Don't feel regret or sad at all
Hey, I'm still a part of the family Pines
And I'm fine, I am totally fine
I will stand on the side as you shine"

I can't do this anymore, I just can't. The more I try to push all of these feelings down, the more and more that it hurts. None of this is fair. Not only did my sister get a gift when I didn't, but even my youngest cousin gets one while I still am the only one left. I am more than happy for him but why am I the only one? Why me?

"I'm not fine, I'm not fine

I can't move the mountains
I can't make the flowers bloom
I can't take another night up in my room
Waiting on a miracle

I can't heal what's broken
Can't control the morning rain or a hurricane
Can't keep down the unspoken invisible pain
Always waiting on a miracle, a miracle"

I push through the crowd, leaving the room as they all pour in. I stand on the landing of the second floor, looking at everyone else's doors, them all glowing that golden light. All except Ford's. He is the one everyone seems ashamed of but still got one. So what is so wrong with me that I didn't get one? Am I just not good enough? No matter how hard I try?

"Always walking alone
Always wanting for more
Like I'm still at that door longing to shine
Like all of you shine"

I walk until I'm standing outside Stan's door. He seems to look down on me the most. I know that I'm a big disappointment to him, but I want to change that no matter what. I want to be someone that he can be proud of.

"All I need is a change
All I need is a chance
All I know is I can't stay on the side
Open your eyes, open your eyes, open your eyes

I would move the mountains
Make new trees and flowers grow
Someone please just let me know, where do I go?
I am waiting on a miracle, a miracle

I would heal what's broken
Show this family something new
Who I am inside, so what can I do?
I'm sick of waiting on a miracle, so here I go"

I ride the banister back down to the first floor courtyard.

"I am ready, come on, I'm ready
I've been patient, and steadfast, and steady
Bless me now as you blessed us all those years ago

When you gave us a miracle

Am I too late for a miracle?"

All I get in response is silence. Feeling more rejected than ever, I sit on the bottom steps of the stairs. I hug my knees to my chest and just rest my forehead on my knees as I try once again to shove my feelings down, knowing it will do no good to show how I truly feel to anyone.