Thirty

It was late when we arrived in New Orleans.

I sat down at the table, the stupidly lavish wood table, with some food I found in the kitchen. I missed the bunker, and the boys.

Bennett was still getting used to sleeping more in the carrier. I was hesitant to take him out of it too often, fucking terrified that he'd be snatched away from me when I least expected it.

"Maverick."

Fuck me. "Hayley, still alive?"

"No thanks to you."

She sat down and it wasn't until she did that I looked up. "Holy shit. You gave birth." Did she have the rune too?

Hayley was holding a little bundle of blankets. "Apparently so did you. When did yours happen?"

"Before you."

"Informative." She deadpanned.

"Can I ask you something?"

"What?"

I picked at my food. "How did you get Klaus to agree to letting you live with the wolves?"

"I didn't. It was part of the negotiations process between the factions. I was going to stay with the pack until I gave birth, and then I'd live here afterwards."

Well I didn't have that.

She certainly looked tired.

"What about you?"

"What do you mean?"

"The second Klaus accepted that the baby was his, my every move was tracked."

"I never said my baby was his." I rubbed Bennett's back, reassuring myself that he was still breathing. Despite the fact that I'd already confirmed that ten minutes ago.

"It is though, right? That's why he's so obsessed with you? I mean, fuck. The last I saw you, before the party, you were terrified of him, wouldn't even make eye contact."

"It wasn't that bad." At least, I'm pretty sure. The beginnings of my hybrid life are a little hazy. "And Klaus isn't obsessed with me."

Her brow shot up. "Oh no? There was a shit storm when you disappeared. I don't think I've ever seen him that angry."

Well that was- something. "That wasn't because of me."

This was the second time I'd heard about Klaus absolutely losing his shit because I'd left.

"Whatever you say."

"And what is it that the two of you are bonding over?" Speak of the devil, and he shall appear. Klaus moved into the room, his hands held behind his back.

"I'm sure you were eavesdropping." I stabbed some kind of cheese with my fork, though what kind, I didn't know. "You're paranoid like that."

Hayley stood. "I should change Hope's diaper."

Hope.

Hope and Bennett were half siblings.

I wonder how long it'll take Klaus to realize I was pregnant. Maybe when their heartbeat got stronger?

She disappeared up the stairs.

"When are you going to admit it?"

I knew what he was asking. But in doing that, it would be declaring that Bennett wasn't just mine to care for. That Klaus had some say in what happened to his child. "Don't make me say it."

"Oh but where would the fun in that be?" He was walking toward me, and I was up, out of my chair before he could get close. "I'm sure our son would like some siblings, and this time, I would know without a shadow of a doubt that they are mine."

"No." I held my hands out in front of me as if trying to calm a wild animal. "Our deal doesn't include sleeping with you."

"Who said a thing about sleeping?"

"Yeah well now I have a baby to take care of, which puts a damper on your sex plans."

"I'm sure he'll be quite comfortable in his nursery."

"Nursery?" He had one at the bunker too, but that didn't mean he stayed in it.

"Follow me." Klaus turned on his heel.

"The hell?" I muttered under my breath, but did as told. I felt like I was getting whiplash. One moment he was angry and the next he was smirking like nothing happened.

"Despite what you might think." He opened what I had previously assumed was some kind of closet. "I do want to be in the lives of the children I fathered."

Inside there was a crib and a rocking chair, it was small, and kind of adorable. "Is that crib even safe?"

With a start, I realized it was the same crib from my nightmare, all those months ago.

"Of course it is." Klaus almost seemed offended. "I made it myself."

"No shit." I dragged my fingers across the fine engravings. There were thick, jagged lines that looked out of place. It'd clearly been repaired. "It's beautiful."

"It was for you." He inched toward me, reaching out toward the top of the carrier.

"Oi. No touchy."

"Let me hold him, just once."

"We've got a long way to go before I let you. I have to trust you, and I don't."

Klaus put a hand over his heart. "I'm hurt."

"You're fine." I cradled Bennett's head. "Also, hard pass on him sleeping in here just so we can have sex."

There were so many things I didn't want him to know, and giving in would result in the revelation of at least half of them.

He hummed, grasping my jaw. "I will get your confession, some ways are far more pleasant than others."

I pat his chest. "And if we go down the unpleasant route, you'll never hold my son."

Klaus caught my hand. "One call from me, and those hunters of yours are as good as dead."

"Except you won't, you'll lose your only leverage."

"I'm sure Jeremy Gilbert would appreciate the ability to continue breathing." I stepped closer.

"You or any of your goons touch him, and I'm gone."

"Well played, little tempest." He smirked, kissing my wrist. "It's adorable how bold you've become."

"I'm so glad you feel that way." I rolled my eyes, taking my hand from his. "It's still a no, though."

"Alright." He pulled away. "Although I will be the only one to satisfy you."

"Who's the bold one now? You think you can tell me who I'm allowed to sleep with?" It made me want to test him, just because I could. "We're not together, which means we can have other partners."

Klaus moved forward until I was trapped against the crib. "You let another touch what is mine, and you'll not like the consequences."